She's So Heavy

Paul didn't hesitate in grabbing his shoes and leaving the flat. I didn't want to go, I wanted to fall on his couch and scream into a pillow. He was insistent and, before I knew it, he was dragging me down the streets of London.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"We can't do this alone," Paul replied, "You don't know how to hide, and I don't know how to help you, but I know who does."

"Who?"

Paul didn't answer. He dragged me around a corner and shoved me on one of the double decker buses. I stumbled on, nearly falling in an elderly woman's lap. She hit me with her umbrella before scoffing, "Youth, always getting into trouble."

I didn't have the energy to quip back. Paul grabbed my elbow and pulled me to the top deck. We were exposed to the elements, but not to the people. On the top of that bus, we were completely alone. Paul sat on one of the benches and pulled me next to him, never once releasing my arm.

"There's got to be a way around these stupid laws," Paul muttered, "A loophole? I dunno."

"They're sturdy as steel," I muttered.

Paul shook his head, "There has to be something."

I shook my head. The laws were very clear and very detailed. Whoever wrote them made sure there was no possibility for a loophole, except maybe moving away from Europe.

"There's nothing we can do, Paul," I sighed, "These laws, they make me no better than a criminal. There's no way around it. I've already sealed my fate, and Molly's, we're doomed."

"Amelia, stop being so pessimistic! There's always something we can do. I'm not about to let you live your life in fear. We're gonna fight this, we just have to figure out how."

I gazed at him. His eyebrows were furrowed and he stared at the back of the seat in front of him. It occurred to me that I wasn't the only one who was scared. If something happened to me, I wouldn't be the only one losing something; Paul would lose his only sister. Every human fears for themselves, but their fear for other people overwhelms that. They fear more for those they love than themselves. I had been so busy worrying about keeping Molly safe, I didn't think how everyone around me would be affected, especially Paul.

"You're right," I muttered, "There's always something we can do."

He glanced at me, "I'm not going to let you get hurt."

"I know."

I wrapped my arms around his shoulder. He patted my arm, but his mind was elsewhere. I sighed, "Maybe whoever you're taking me to can help."

"If anyone can, it's him."

The bus pulled up to a stop near Kensington Gardens. Paul leaped up and began to drag me off the bus. I shot a glare at the old woman before we disembarked.

He took me to another building filled with flats of all sorts. We went to the second floor where only two flats resided. Both were large; they could have been considered houses if they weren't in one building. He took me to one with a bright red door. He had barely finished knocking when the door opened.

"Paul, I didn't expect to see you here," Brian smiled, "And Amelia, pleasure, of course. Come in."

He stepped aside and let us in. I stared at him before glancing at Paul. Paul looked nervous, his eyebrows had yet to return to their usual place. I'm sure they wouldn't until we had this entire matter resolved.

"Is there something I can do for you?" Brian asked, smiling his usual bright smile.

Paul nodded, "We need your help, Eppy, badly."