They Forgot

It was quiet for a Sunday. March had long since come and gone, leaving us with the beautiful April weather. It was late in April, specifically the twenty-first, which was my birthday. Nobody had said anything to me today, leading me to believe they had forgotten.

I trudged along all the way to the park. Molly was supposed to meet me there and we would go get lunch. She was the only one who had acknowledged what day it was. I met her underneath the sycamore tree near the playground.

"Happy birthday, Amelia!" she exclaimed, lunging forward to hug me.

I nearly toppled backward. Hugging her back, I smiled, "Thanks, Molly."

"I got you something."

She shoved a small box into my hands. It was wrapped in golden wrapping paper with a blue and silver bow. I smiled at her before unwrapping it. Inside, a small pocket watch, no bigger than my palm, hung on a silver chain. I popped it open to see the clock was ticking.

"I love it!" I exclaimed, slipping it over my neck, "Thank you."

Molly smiled, "I knew you would. Paul said you liked clocks and stuff."

I pulled her into another hug. She accepted it and even returned it. When we separated, she looped her arm in mine and said, "How about some lunch? I heard there was a good shop down the block."

"Let's be on the way then."

The two of us began down the street. I fingered the clock, smiling sadly. When Molly noticed she asked, "Something wrong, Amelia?"

"You're the only one that remembered my birthday," I sighed, "Dad took Michael to work and Paul thinks his bloody music is more important. Not a single one of them told me happy birthday or anything."

Molly comfortingly patted my shoulder, "That's terrible."

"Bleeding nice family, ain't they?"

"Maybe they'll remember," Molly smiled, "I'll knock 'em over if you want me too."

I laughed, "It's alright, I'll knock some sense into them later."

Molly smiled. We continued down the road. Pedestrians pushed past us, some even muttering at us to get out of the way. I sneered at them and they went on their way.

"Oi! Melly!"

Molly and I stopped, and I glanced behind us. John was running across the street towards us, waving at us all the way. His hair was blowing in every direction and his glasses nearly fell off. I wrinkled my nose, "What do you want, John?"

"I've been looking all over for ye," he said when he caught up with us, "Wanted to tell you happy birthday."

I smiled, "Thanks, John, I'm glad someone else remembered."

"What?"

"Her family forgot," Molly said, "You and I are the only ones who remembered."

John knitted his eyebrows, "Ole Macca forgot your birthday?"

"Yeah, the arse."

"We'll beat some sense into him," John clapped my shoulder, "Make sure he never forgets again."

Molly and I laughed. John stood up straight and stretched his back, "I also wanted to say we have a show tomorrow at the club."

"What time?"

"Eight," John replied, "Tell Paul to bring that music we've been working on."

I nodded, "Will do."