The Beginning of a Historic Partnership

I witnessed history more than once. From two lads meeting to the shot heard around the world. I witnessed wars, concerts, speeches, and even a few tiny details that would one day become historic. I was even involved in few, such as the day we were called into Ellen's office.

Molly, Janice, and I left the house early in the morning. She had interrupted our early morning songwriting. As we walked, I had the notepad open in my hands and a pen poised between my fingers.

"What rhymes with distance?" I asked.

Janice furrowed her eyebrows, "Instance?"

"Perfect."

I scratched that down. Molly gently pushed my elbow to guide me around the corner. Sparks shot up my bare skin and tickled my heart, making it leap and dance in my ribcage. I tried to hide my shivers. Molly quickly retracted her hand but didn't acknowledge what had happened.

So far we had three and a half songs written of five. All we needed were two and a half more, but we were hitting writer's block. All I could think of were songs I already knew but worded slightly differently. I had even plunged into my poetry archives for inspiration, but none came. We were drawing a blank when we needed it the least.

When we arrived at Ellen's place, I shoved the notepad into my pocket. We took the lift up in silence. The nervous anticipation coated the air. None of us knew what to expect. Whatever Ellen had up her sleeve, I was sure it was good. She was filled with surprises and each and every one of them had been good, so far. We stepped into her office and were met with a surprise.

"What're you lads doing here?" I asked.

Paul, John, George, and Ringo were all lazing about the office. Paul and John occupied two of the leather seats, both looking like they were about to fall asleep. Ringo was playing with Peter's typewriter as George inspected a sculpture in the corner.

"Ask Eppy," John replied, "Dragging us out of bed at this bloody time, fucking hell."

Waking John up was never a fun experience. I had only ever seen one person succeed without getting his head bit off, and that was Paul, back in Hamburg. John was always in a grumpy mood when he woke up naturally, let alone when someone forced him awake. Had there been any sharp objects nearby, I was sure John wouldn't hesitate in using them. Once, I had drawn the short straw and had to wake him up. The result was a bruise the size of Liverpool covering my stomach. 

"It's nearly nine," Janice mumbled.

John shot her a look that screamed murder. Janice gulped and slunk back, hiding halfway behind me. I rolled my eyes. I had become accustomed to this behavior, especially after sleeping in the same room as him for six months.

"Why'd he bring you here?" I asked, ignoring John's sour mood.

Paul took over, "Dunno. He just showed up and told us to get dressed, said we were going to an important meeting."

"I dunno why he thinks we need to be here," John spat, "He vanished in there twenty minutes ago, left us in here. Rubbish, I say."

"He's talking to some lady. Ellen, I think her name was," Ringo furrowed his eyebrows.

Obviously, they had been introduced. I suspected Ellen wanted to meet them all personally, but I couldn't figure out why. Whatever she was planning, she wasn't alone. Having her and Brian plotting in the office together made me feel on edge. 

George glanced at us, "Say, what're you birds doing here?"

"Ellen is our manager," Molly replied, "She called us here, guess it has something to do with you lads."