The Beginning of The Invasion

"How you feelin', Melly?"

Ringo glanced sideways at me. The two of us walked out of my building and onto the London streets. Molly, Janice, and I had just moved there, and I wasn't sure if I would ever get used to the lack of fish smell filling the air. In a way, I didn't want to, I like London so much more. It had happier people, brighter skies, taller buildings, and more opportunities for musicians like me. I never wanted the honeymoon phase to end and for London to become just another Liverpool to me. 

"Like I never want my feet to leave the ground ever again," I replied, "I'm alright, s'pose."

Ringo grinned, "No more headaches?"

After the episode at The Astoria, I had headaches for the next week. Each one seemed to be worse than the last whenever they were supposed to be getting better. I shook my head, "Nope. I'm alright."

Ringo nodded his approval. I kicked a snowbank causing white ice to fall over the pavement. A bit landed on Ringo's shoe, and he shook it off with a chuckle. We were heading to the closest park to meet Paul, and then go on to the recording studio.

As it turns out, Ringo and Maureen got a flat in the same building as Molly, Janice, and me. It was completely coincidental. I ran into Ringo in the lobby yesterday and we both had a laugh. When he invited me to go with him to the studio, I jumped at the chance to leave the flat.

I wasn't sure how much longer I could stand living in the same house as Molly. It wasn't that I was getting sick of her, quite the opposite actually. Every time I saw her, I had to hold back everything swelling up in my heart. All of the illegal feelings had to be hidden away, and it was difficult when I saw her every bloody day.

A year ago, I would have jumped at the chance to own a flat with Molly. I did, actually, and I knew I would again. Had I known then what I know now, I would have thought things through a bit more. Ignoring your feelings for someone is a lot easier when you don't see them all day every day.

I was terrified that I was going to blurt out my feelings for her at any second and put both of us in danger. As soon as the words were spoken, I couldn't take them back. If I told her that I loved her, it would be real. I can deny it now, but not as soon as it's out in the world. Eventually, the authorities would get wind of it and we'll all have to pay. Molly and I would be subjected to horrors I don't want to think about, and both bands can kiss stardom goodbye.

Thus, I left the flat whenever I could. I had thought about asking Paul, Ringo, or John if I could stay over a night or two. It would give me a break long enough to sort through my thoughts and bottle them up. If they asked why I could always claim Molly and I had gotten into a fight.

"Melly, look,"

I turned to Ringo just in time to hear a camera's shutter snap. He pulled his camera from his eye and grinned, his cigarette hanging in the corner of his mouth. I smirked, "Do I look good?"

He shrugged. I playfully slapped his shoulder, giggling all the way. Ringo's grin only widened.

The park we went to was beautiful, when it wasn't winter. All of the trees had lost their leaves and the grass was covered with snow. It was a winter wasteland with nothing but snow and ice for as far as the eye could see. Children built snowmen and made snow angels while other Londoners skated on the frozen lake. Ringo and I waved at a group of kids as we passed.

"Ever been skating?" Ringo asked.

"Once," I replied, "When I was a kid, Mum and Da took us skating. I fell."

Ringo chuckled, "Me too. Never liked it since."

I nodded in agreement. My nose throbbed at the painful memory of my face smacking into the ice. I could still hear Paul giggling and Mum calling my name as my nose began to bleed.