Got To Get Her Into His Life

I often found myself wondering if I would ever find love. I saw it in so many people; John and Cynthia, Ringo and Maureen, and George every time he looks at his guitar. I even saw it in Paul whenever he looked at the bird he met at a concert.

I myself had never felt love before. It seemed like a concept I could never quite grasp. Love was always just out of reach for me. I questioned if I would ever be able to find it, or if I even wanted it at all. Sometimes, I even found myself questioning its existence. 

Love seemed like something that would tie me down. I had so many things I wanted to do; I didn't want to be tied down to a lover. A man would only make me stop doing what I loved, after all, that's the way the world worked. Part of me wanted to find love, but the dominant half knew it wouldn't be worth it in the long run. Love was a pain, not a pleasure. It was unnecessary to live, and yet, so many people said they couldn't live without it.

Paul was one of those people. He got his first girlfriend when he was thirteen, and broke up with her not even a month later. Since then, he'd had countless girlfriends, none lasting more than a year.

Until Jane Asher.

Jane Asher stepped into our lives without so much as a sound. She instantly dominated Paul's life, becoming such a huge part, I wasn't sure if they would ever be separated. Little did I know, one day, she would become such a huge part in my life that I wouldn't know what I did before she arrived.

"Know anything about her?" I asked Michael.

Michael shrugged, "Just that she's pretty. Paulie wouldn't tell me much of anything else."

We were sitting on the bus heading towards the restaurant Paul had chosen for dinner. He invited the two of us and Dad to meet his new girlfriend, who, at the time, none of us knew anything about. I didn't even know her name. She was like this mysterious figure that all of us doubted the existence of. Like Bigfoot or The Loch Ness Monster, but, as Paul said, much prettier.

"I'm surprised Paulie invited Da though," Michael commented.

"He said he wanted to start making things right," I replied, "I guess this is a start."

Had I been in his place, I would have procrastinated taking my date to meet Dad. Our relationship was still rocky, but it was improving ever so slowly. I had finally gotten to the point where I didn't do everything I could to avoid him, but I didn't do anything to be with him either.

The very thought of this dinner made me nervous. While Dad, Paul, and I were on good enough terms not to cause a scene that could change at any second. All Dad had to do was voice his dislike for Paul's new girlfriend, and we would be in yet another argument. Any chance of mending our relationship would be flushed down the toilet at that point.

"Come off it, Lia, there's nothing to worry about," Michael smiled at me, "Paul chose a public place for a reason."

I huffed, "Wouldn't put it past Dad to start somethin' anyway."

"And we'll stop it if he does. He's getting better, honest. You've just got to believe it."

"I'll believe it when I see it."

The bus pulled to a stop. Michael and I disembarked, nodding thanks to the driver. We headed down the street towards the restaurant.

We had gone to that restaurant many times as children. It had changed names, menus, and staff a million and one times since then, but it was still the same old building with the same warm feeling.

"There they are," Michael pointed to the back.

Paul was waving at us from a booth. Next to him, I saw a head of bright red hair. For a moment, I was taken aback. It was unusual to see a ginger in Liverpool. Most Liverpudlians had the same dull hair colors. This girl had hair as bright as her personality.