Mostly British Eggheads

I watched as Molly bounced Vera on her knee. At a month old, Vera looked to be ready to go to university. She had grown almost a full head of bleach blonde hair and she was able to hold herself up. She was a large baby, the doctors said she was two pounds over the average weight. Vera was as healthy and as happy as any baby could ever dream of being.

"I don't know who's cuter," I said, "The baby or you."

Molly glanced at me and smiled slightly, "Melly, you flatter me."

Molly hardly ever smiled anymore and, when she did, it was a tiny smile that could be mistaken for a smirk. It was the smile of someone who was broken and battered inside, someone who had lost everything. She had scars that would never go away. 

"That's my job, love."

I winked at her, causing her to giggle. The giggle was forced, I could tell it was. She was trying to act like her normal self in an effort to be normal, but that would never work. She would have to heal on her own time, nobody, not even Molly herself, could force it. Vera began to fuss for her bottle. I shook my head and chuckled, "You eat so much, you'll blow up like a balloon, kid."

"A cute balloon," Molly wrinkled her nose at the baby.

Vera giggled. I rolled my eyes, "Gah, Mols, you're such a Mum."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

I chuckled under my breath as I made my way into the kitchen. Vera's bottles were lined up in the cabinet beneath the coffee mugs. She had pink, blue, purple, green, and even yellow bottles. They had decorations of animals, flowers, and music notes on them. Cynthia had even found a bottle decorated in beetles. When she gave it to us, I nearly died laughing.

As I heated up the bottle, there was a knock on the door. I opened my mouth to say I'd get it, but I wasn't given enough time. The lock clicked and the door swung open.

"Guess what the bloody fuck just happened to us!" John shouted.

Molly gasped, "John, don't swear in front of the baby!"

"Come off it, Molly, Mel's all grown up now."

John came around the corner and winked at me. I sneered and nearly shot him the bird. Molly's glare told me exactly what would happen if I did. I settled for waiting for her to look away.

"I think she meant the little one, Johnny," Paul commented.

He stepped forward and reached for Vera. Molly willingly handed her over. Paul took Vera into his arm and grinned at her, "Lovely to see you again."

"I hope you didn't bust into our house and piss Molly off for no reason, mates," I said.

Molly shot me a glare, one that quickly dissolved into a grin. George opened his mouth, "We've got news."

"When do you not?"

"Touche."

Ringo smiled, "But this news is newsworthy."

"I'd hope so," I smirked.

Ringo looked confused as George snorted. Paul beamed and said, "We're gonna get MBE's."

"Wait, what?" I asked, "MBE? Like, the MBE?"

Molly lifted her eyebrows, "The MBE Award?"

"The very same," John replied, "The Queen herself is gonna give it to us."

George chuckled, "Gives us a chance to tell her about Paulie's crush on her."

"George, you wanker!" Paul exclaimed.