You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 28

Chapter 28

Matt walked out into the ambulance like Bambi on ice. He was still feeling incredibly dizzy and had to be supported by Paloma and the ambulance girl.

“I’m fine.” Matt mumbled.

“No you’re not, now shut up.” Paloma said as we helped him into the back of the van.

Bree came out in a stretcher. I was relieved to see that they hadn’t covered her body. She wasn’t dead.

“Come on Tabby, I’ve called Jake and your parents, they’ll meet us at the hospital.”

“My mum.” Matt mumbled.

“Yes, I’m calling her right now.” Paloma reassured him.

I couldn’t look at Bree. Her body was so still and pale.

I sat next to Matt, who looked very much in pain.

I heard Paloma telling Matt’s mum about what had happened. I could hear her panicked tone, but Paloma was doing her best to reassure her.

“He’s okay, yeah. Well he did hit his head, but he seems fine. He’s been talking. Yeah, please don’t worry; we’ll meet you in the hospital.”

She shut her phone. “Please don’t worry Tabby.” She took my hands. “She’ll be fine, you know her.”

I thought I’d known her, but I nodded in agreement anyway.

“Will she be okay?” I turned and dared to ask the ambulance lady.

The other two were currently working on Bree. She had a slight pulse, I had heard them say, but I still had to know the full details.

“It’s hard to say, but it was lucky you found her, otherwise she would have died.”

I gulped. “Was it the heroin she overdosed on?”

“Most probably, yes, but we need to check for other substances in her blood.”

I nodded. “Thanks.” I mumbled.

The lady suddenly touched my arm. “My name’s Steph. And you?” she asked.

“Tabby, and that’s Paloma and Matt.”

“Okay Tabby. Well, let me tell you, I’m sure from your quick action; Bree will make as full a recovery as possible. I’m not promising anything, but time is everything, and this could have saved her life.” She smiled.

I nodded again. “What if she doesn’t make it?” I whispered.

“Tabby, please don’t talk like that.” Paloma scolded.

“No, it’s fine. We never know what will happen, and stuff like this kills so many young people. But we’re doing everything we can."

“Okay.” I said.

I turned away from Bree. I couldn’t stand to look at her.

I closed my eyes, hoping against all odds, Bree would make it through.

***

“Tabby!” My mother shouted as I walked into the reception of the hospital.

Matt and Bree had been taken off to be treated, so Steph had told us to go to the reception to try and find our parents.

“Mum!” I ran into her arms, and didn’t want to let her go. “Mum, it was awful.” I said, not crying, just sobbing, but without the tears.