You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 29

Well, it's been a long, long, LONG, time, but it's finally here! Sorry for the slow-ness, I had a TON of exams and shizz! Enjoy le chapter, it's near the end now, so hold on, ho-old onnnnnn, hold on, ho-old onnnnnnn! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 29

George and Kate, Bree’s brother and sister, arrived about half an hour later, their clothes covered in the snow that was falling outside. They rushed in to see their mum and Bree.

“We better go.” My mum whispered. “Come on Jake, I’ll take you and Paloma home.”

I nodded and caught Mrs Turner’s eye as I walked out. She gave a strained smile and I returned one as best I could.

Jake took my hand and we walked in silence behind my mum and Paloma, who had been updating her mum for the last two hours.

“Suzy is bringing me home mum, it’s fine. Tabby and Jake are fine, I hope you left me dinner?” she asked cheekily at the end.

Typical of Paloma; thinking about food at a time like this.

***

No one spoke at all for the duration of the car journey on the way home. Jake kept hold of my hand, and for once, it didn’t go clammy. I was so cold.

“I’ll see you tomorrow then Tabby?” Paloma asked as she got out at her house.

I hadn’t realised we’d arrived. I thought for a moment. Would everyone suddenly know about Bree when I got back? Probably; rumours and stories spread like wild fire through secondary schools.

“Yeah.” I said faintly.

She nodded. “Okay, see you tomorrow. Thanks Mrs Westcott, see you Jake.”

My mum said goodbye and Jake waved too.

We carried on to Jake’s house. “Do you want to walk Jake to the door Tabby?” my mum asked tentatively.

I shrugged, but went with him anyway. The snowing had stopped, leaving a light dusting of it over Jake’s mum’s car and his little patch of lawn.

Jake’s mother answered the door before he’d even knocked. “Oh my goodness! Are you two okay?” she pulled us both into a stifling hug. It felt nice though, so I didn’t object.

“Don’t worry Tabby, she’ll be alright.” She said, taking my face in her hands.

How many times is someone going to tell me that?

I nodded silently.

“If you need anything, I will always be here.” She whispered. She hugged me again and left me and Jake alone.

We stand there in silence, as if we’re strangers.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” He says. He kisses me, and I feel better, much better in fact. I even find myself grinning.

“I needed that.” I smile.

He laughs and waves one final goodbye to me before he closes the door.

I don’t remember getting home, I feel completely numb. I suddenly resurface, finding myself sitting at my desk. I had my pyjamas on, but I did’t remember taking my jeans or coat off.

I rubbed my eyes, trying desperately to come back to the present. I looked at my clock on the bedside table. 9.42.

I suddenly realised I was starving. I went to the top of the stairs. I wanted to go down, raid the fridge, but I was scared to. I didn’t want to bump into my mum or dad, or worse still the twins.