You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 17

Chapter 17

The next week was filled with excited chatter from Paloma about the party. She was constantly going over what we would wear, how great it would be, blah, blah, blah. I tuned it out most of the time, but I did get more enthusiastic as the week went on.

Bree’s cold had finally cleared up, though her mum had sent her to school with so many tissues her bag was double the weight. She seemed to be doing better in lessons now, getting her head down and catching up with her missed work. Things were also better with Jake. I mean, they were great to start with, but I felt more comfortable now going out with him. We went down and watched him and the guys practice for the party more now, and Matt even came and joined us for lunch too. He was such a sweet guy, and I was glad we’d got to know him better. Jack waved to me on my way to class all the time and Max liked to joke around about how me and Jake were ‘getting on’. They all made me laugh really, and I think Paloma enjoyed hanging out with more guys too, though for completely different reasons.

“Max’s cute, don’t you think?” she would say to me constantly in science or on the way to French. She’d asked it again this Friday on the way to lunch.

I was surprised she wasn’t gabbling about the party for once.

“Paloma, if you like him that much, hook up with him!” I said.

“But that’s awkward, dating your best friend’s boyfriend’s best friend.” she said. I’m surprised she could even say it, it was such a mind bending mouthful.

“Well, I’m technically dating my best friend, aren’t I? I got over that awkwardness.”

“True. I might ask him to give me some drumming lessons and ask him then. What do you think?”

“Yes, what a fantastic plan! I’m sure he’ll enjoy it very much giving you ‘drumming lessons’.” I giggled.

“Tabby! I did NOT mean it like that!” she huffed, though I could see a small smile playing on her lips.

“Of course.” I grinned at her wickedly. “What time is Kayleigh picking us guys up?”

“Well, the party starts at 7.30, so quarter past or something like that. Don’t worry, my sister hates being late, so we’re guaranteed to get there on time.”

I nodded. “Great, I’m gonna go casual, you?”

“Yeah, same. I didn’t want to dress up too much. It’s not fancy dress thankfully, so I might just throw something on after dinner. I wonder what Max will be wearing?” She started day dreaming again.

I shook my head and rolled my eyes in an over the top way.

“Oh, shut up Tabby!” Paloma said, nudging me in the ribs.

I laughed; I was a professional at winding her up.

***

“Have fun Tabby, and don’t drink too much!” My mum said that familiar sentence every time I went to a party or stayed out late.

“No, you know I won’t.” I said, pulling on a coat over Jake’s hoody. I hadn’t given it back to him yet, and I’d decided to take it tonight, but wear it to avoid freezing to death before I got to the party.

“Key’s under the plant pot in the porch, see you later.” My mum waved to me as I walked out the door.

I closed it shut behind me. This night was bitterly cold and I could see my breath, escaping in streams from my nose. Mum had put up some Halloween decorations for the occasion and me and my brothers had carved pumpkins after school. I may have been literally almost an adult now, but I was never too old for Halloween.