You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 18

Chapter 18

 The party was going great, but my matchmaking? Not so much. I didn’t know how to start. Should I just go up to Max and tell him about Paloma’s true feelings? Or drop him hints? Or would he interpret that wrong and think I was flirting with him and taking Jake for a ride?

God it’d sounded better when I’d said it.

I decided to forget about it and have a good old dance with Bree. She seemed to be enjoying the party just as much as everyone else and I was glad of that. Paloma came and danced too. I noticed she was still pretty happy; either she was thinking about what had happened with Max, or she’d spent the last half hour over by the drinks table. Whatever, we were all having a good time, and I didn’t really care. Maybe she’d strike up the courage under the influence.

The band played until 10 and then the stereo came out with some rock CDs or whatever.

Paloma came up to me around 10.15, looking extremely pale. “Are you ok?” I asked, hoping she wouldn’t throw up on my shoes.

She shook her head. “I feel ill. Can we go inside? Grab the bowl from the kitchen sink, I might need it.” she said.

“How much have you drunk?” I asked, wondering if she’d had one too many.

“A WKD, that’s it.”

I shrugged. Maybe she was just feeling too hot. “Ok, come on then, let’s get inside.” From the corner of my eye, I could see Max watching us, looking worried as ever.

I led her inside away from the noise and upstairs to the familiar bathroom. I’d probably be able to memorise it by the end of the night.

She sat down and leaned her head against the wall, breathing deeply.

I waited for a few minutes. “You feeling better?” I asked.

She laughed weakly. “A bit.” she had some colour back in her cheeks. I think she’d got too hot dancing, or maybe swooning over Max.

“Got a bit over heated about Max I see?”

She flushed total pink then. “Maybe. Yes.” she laughed, looking ten times better than before.

“Thought so.” I laughed.

“Wow, I actually feel so much better now.” she said, opening her eyes and lifting her head slightly from the wall.

“Good. Hopefully still up for the matchmaking?” I said, suddenly remembering I had that to accomplish.

She shrugged. “Nah, it doesn’t matter now. I’m sure Max wouldn’t want a girl friend that almost passes out at the sight of him.” she laughed.

“I guess not.” I answered; slightly thankful I didn’t have to do that anymore. I’d try secretly though. It would be easier doing it with no kind of proper motive.

“Does my make up look ok? If not, I’ll make you go back down and get it from your coat pocket.” she grinned wickedly.

I’d left my coat on the speaker next to Jake; it was the closest thing I could get to him looking after it.

“Ha, no. Go get it yourself. Max looked worried again.” I winked.

“Oh god, I hope he gets totally drunk and forgets about all this.” she moaned.

“Yeah, unlikely. Max doesn’t seem the kind of guy to get completely legless on a night out.” I said. “Besides, he’ll only not remember the stuff he did when he was drunk. You went funny on him when he was sober.” I laughed. It felt nice to talk about boys; Paloma never really did this sort of thing.