You, Me & 'Charlie' - chapter 20

Chapter 20

Well, so much for Paloma speaking to Max on Monday. It wasn’t until the Wednesday she actually plucked up the courage to even look at him.

I sighed loudly at her, as she idly picked at her food while staring at Max making his way to the canteen.

“Why don’t you go over?” I suggested casually.

She looked up and shook her head, her eyes full of fear.

I rolled my eyes. “Paloma, you promised me you’d speak to him on Monday. It’s Wednesday now, how long do you think he’ll wait?” I asked her.

She shrugged. “You’re right. Let’s go and see him.”

“He’ll be heading back to music. Want to go down?” I asked.

She nodded, throwing her sandwich box into the nearby bin. Bree wasn’t with us; she was currently at Spanish revision.

She held my arm for dear life all the way down. I didn’t know what she was so scared about, she’d already snogged him.

Jake was currently down there too. The band always practiced on Wednesday lunchtimes.

We got to the music rooms. The music block was only 6 rooms in total near the courts.

Paloma let go of me and went ahead confidently. She pulled on the door. It was locked. “Damn.” she muttered. She knocked loudly. There was a window open near the door.

“HELLO?” she called into it. I was glad the courts were empty; she was making an utter dick of herself.

Jake came to the door. He was laughing. “No need to shout Paloma.” he grinned at her, letting us inside.

“There was full reason to shout Jake. The door was locked, and we were freezing to death out there.” she told him, heading straight for room 3.

“Maybe you should invest in some trousers then?” he said, giving her bottom half a look.

Paloma lived in her skirt; she only wore trousers on rainy days. It was November, and she still wore the most outrageous things.

“Who are you trying to impress?” Jack said as me and Jake followed her in.

“No one.” Paloma replied bluntly, taking a seat on the desk near the guys’ stuff.

“Unlikely story.” Jack answered, tossing his guitar pick.

I had to laugh.

Paloma glared at him. “Can’t I just come and spontaneously watch my best friend’s band play on a Wednesday afternoon?” she asked.

“Not unless you’ve come to see someone in particular.” Jack grinned at her. See why I liked them so much?

“Just shut up.” Paloma said bluntly, folding her arms.

“Whatever you say.” Jack said, playing a few cords on his guitar.

I sat at the piano and watched Paloma. She seemed nervous. I could only imagine why.

“You took your time.” Matt said suddenly.

Max was coming through the door, munching on a bagel. He stopped dead when he saw Paloma. She’d just been under the table, searching for her phone which she’d dropped. And she was wearing a short skirt, which looked like a belt at the moment.

I tried desperately to stifle a laugh. I’ll have to admit, it was hard. I coughed to cover it up.

“Oh, hey Tabby, Paloma.” Max said. “Nice skirt.” he said.