ONE-SHOT: Rhythmn of the Night

Start from the beginning

For a long moment, he just stood there, and it was a terrible place to be, because the clouds had moved away from the full moon, casting bright silver lighting down over us. Logan's black hair looked like liquid almost, strands shimmering silver as he turned his head just enough to show his pale cheek, but he didn't turn any more than that, and I breathed out quietly in relief as he continued forward.

I followed him after a moment, easing into the shadows of the buildings still standing precariously and furrowing my brows when Logan slipped into one of them. I stayed in place for a long time before it occurred to me that he realized I was there and went out the back door of this building to lose me.

"Fuck," I whispered the curse and hurried forward, peering through a cracked window and panning my gaze over the interior.

At one point, it had probably been a restaurant, or maybe a business building, I could see a receptionist's desk crumbling on one side of the room, overturned tables and plush arm chairs with rips and burns on the upholstery, a couch near the middle of the room that must have spent years there collecting dust, one of the cushions falling halfway off.

I couldn't see Logan in that front room, though, and breathed out a few curses as I pushed forward and slipped into the building, shivering a little from the heavy draft and taking a selfish moment to try and close the door before realizing the glass had shattered from the frame and it was a pointless endeavor.

I threw my hands above my head in defeat and pulled the sides of my coat together before turning, a gasp tearing from my throat at the sudden blur that rushed me, the light of the moon glinting off the edge of a knife as it was pressed against the side of my neck, dark forest green eyes narrowed at me in suspicion.

"You knew I was following you," I stated simply, and Logan made a scoffing noise as if he was saying duh.

He pulled the knife away from my throat and used it to point behind me towards the door, an obvious order that didn't even need words, but I folded my arms defiantly and glared at him, not at all willing to leave him until he explained what he was doing. Sure, he couldn't speak, but he could write it down or something.

"I'm not going. What did you sneak out for?" he threw his hands up, snarling, and turned his back, but I kept talking, "I doubt Orion told you to do this, you wouldn't have snuck out through the fucking window if he had. Are you betraying the rebellion? Betraying your group?"

He spun on his heel, fury burning in his eyes, teeth grit as he curled his hands into fists, his knuckles turning white. I figured that meant no, and just staring into his eyes said a lot more than he could have himself if he could have talked. I would never betray my friends, how dare you accuse me of such a thing. His angry glare was so intense, I could swear I heard his words reverberating in my head through his eyes.

"Then what are you doing?" I asked, and he scoffed, turning his head away and shaking it.

You wouldn't understand.

"Try me," I said, and he turned back to gape at me, seemingly surprised. I just shrugged, "You're predictable, I can basically see what you want to say."

He narrowed his eyes at me, then turned away, slipping his knife back into the sheath hanging at his belt, folding his arms and pacing a few steps before turning back to give me a look that was startlingly vulnerable and open. I'd never seen him with that expression before, and it had something twisting in my chest, my breath coming a little short.

"What happened?" I asked, "You're leaving for a reason. You need to tell me somehow. Maybe I can help you."

He rolled his eyes and shook his head, his hand reaching up to rub his throat, staring down. He was hurting, maybe not physically, but something was bothering him, and he didn't seem to have any idea how to fix it or make it better. He was lost, and since he didn't really have any way to tell me what was wrong, there was only one thing I could think of to help him.