ONE-SHOT: Star Light, Star Bright

Words: 6313

Couple: Beckett Navarro/Shiloh Dunne

Notes: Everyone likes background stories, right? Well this one is Beckett's! It's like sooooo adorable and sweet and super hella cute and I'm lying this is one of the most screwed up things I have literally ever written and I actually cried while I wrote this so have fun! It's written in Beckett's point of view by the way.

Ratings/Warnings: 18+, erotic, contains sexual content, gay relationship, rape, graphic scenes, violence, blood, and death, may be triggering to some readers. If you are at all triggered by the stated themes DO NOT READ THIS.

~@~@~@~@~   

"Reports have stated that the east... -early entirely go-.... Citizens of the middle states are advi-... find shelter and stay indoor-..."

The report kept breaking up in the middle of the news casters statement, buzzing with white noise as the picture on the television broke up and became snowy before clearing up again to show the frazzled looking woman clenching her papers and sitting in her station in New York. It had been months since the bombs had started to fall, years since the war itself started, and the United States were practically in complete ruin.

My parents had died weeks ago, during a raid on their house, I luckily hadn't been there or I would've died with them. It seemed you couldn't trust anyone these days, not even the people from your own country. Fear had gripped the nation, men and women were turning on each other simply to survive, being in the city was too dangerous, so after I learned of my parent's deaths, I filled my car until it was bulging with supplies, grabbed my fiancé, and fucking drove as fast as I could.

We were currently hiding out in the mountains, in the middle of absolute nowhere, surrounded by hundreds of miles of national forest trees and safe in a quaint little cabin with one bedroom, one kitchen, one tiny bathroom, and a living room. It was almost too small for the two of us, but it was safe. We were safe. My fiancé was safe, and that's all I cared about.

No one had any idea this building was here, but my mother had been a park ranger for nearly forty years, and we'd taken vacations to the lake near this cabin when I was a kid, so naturally I knew it's exact location and knew it would be safe. We had everything we needed to survive for months, and I knew how to hunt and fish, there was even a well for fresh water and a greenhouse for planting vegetables just outside.

We had books for when the power cut off, we had batteries and CD's for the CD player, a portable DVD player and a generator with a storeroom of gas to last us years. There was plenty of medicine, I'd grabbed as much as I could for my fiancé when we left, and it should last him quite a while, enough clothes to fill several closets, and of course weapons, guns, and ammo to last for ages, we were in the best possible position for the end of the world to come.

Yet I still felt so incredibly uneasy. The nearest town was over ten miles away, not even they knew this cabin was here as it was private National property, but when you pulled the blinds aside you could see the jets passing by overhead, occasionally you could see the bombs falling, sometimes the ground would shake. It was terrifying.

I was sitting on the single love seat in the living room, leaning forward with my elbows against my knees and my hands folded in front of my mouth as the television report flickered in front of me, my knee bouncing in anxiety as I waited for some good news. My attention was drawn away when I heard coughing, and lifted my head to see my fiancé was at the window, holding the curtains back to watch the sky with the back of his hand against his mouth to stifle the noise.

He was dressed in sweats and a t-shirt with slippers on his feet and a heavy robe around his shoulders, tied at his waist, with an extra blanket wrapped around his shoulders, his hand holding it together at his chest. His hair was a lackluster dirty blond color and messed up from the fact he'd been in bed just moments earlier, his blue eyes pale and his skin flushed as he leaned against the frame of the window.