Chapter 16: Why Branch Doesn't Sing

"A 5, 6, 7, 8!" both princesses sang and the others joined in.

[Trolls:]
"When you look in the mirror let it disappear
All your insecurities"

"Wait! Why isn't this one singing?" Bridget asked, pointing at Branch.

Branch realized all the attention was on him as the others urged him to sing.

"Oh, no. That's okay," Branch declined.

"You don't think this will work?" Bridget asked sadly.

"Oh, no, no. It's not that. I just don't sing," Branch said.

"Branch!" Poppy scolded while Jamie looked at him with a little disappointment.

"No. He's right. This idea is stupid. King Gristle will never love me," Bridget whimpered then sobbed into her pillow.

The others tried to cheer up while Jamie, Branch, and Poppy looked at her with sympathy.

"Bridget, let it go. Just have a good cry. Go, girl!" Biggie comforted.

Bridget wailed at that moment.

"Okay, now bring it back in. Reel it in," Biggie instructed.

Branch scoffed a little then started climbing the curtain. Jamie let Poppy know she'd take care of it. Poppy nodded and went to comfort Bridget while Jamie climbed after Branch.

"Branch, what are you doing? You have to sing!" Jamie urged.

"I told you, I don't sing," Branch answered.

"Well, you have to!" she pushed.

"I'm sorry. I can't," he replied as he made it to the top and went to the window.

"No, you can. You just won't," Jamie corrected as she made it there too.

"Fine. I just won't," Branch stated.

"You have to!" she commanded.

"No!" he refused.

"Yes!" Jamie yelled.

"No!" Branch shouted.

"Why not? Why won't you sing?!" she demanded.

"Because singing killed my grandma, okay?" he confessed, frowned deeply, then told her, "Now, leave me alone."

He walked off and Jamie was shocked to hear this. This was why Branch won't sing? What exactly happened to his grandma?

"My uncle broke his neck tap dancing once," Cooper commented.

Branch sat down at the far end of the window and Jamie sat down beside him.

"How did singing kill your grandma? What song was she singing?" she wondered.

"I was the one singing," he admitted and explained, "That day, I was so lost in song, I didn't hear my grandma trying to warn me."

Jamie could only imagine what he must've gone through. Losing your grandma to a Bergen? And not just any Bergen, but the Chef Bergen? If that happened to her, she would've lost her colors and wouldn't sing since then either.

[Trolls:]
"Once upon a time, there was light in his life
But now there's only love in the dark
Nothing he can say"

[Bridget:]
"A total eclipse of the heart"

Branch looked out the window while Jamie looked at him with concern.

"I haven't sung a note since," he finished.

"I'm so sorry, Branch. I had no idea," she apologized.

"I just assumed you had a terrible voice," Poppy chimed in.

Jamie elbowed her then commented, "Nice going, sis."

"No, no, it was like an angel's. At least, that's what Grandma used to say," Branch said and faced them.

Jamie smiled, ran up to Branch, and wrapped her arms around him.

"Whoa, whoa. What are you doing? It's not hug time," Branch pointed out.

"I just thought you could use one," Jamie whispered.

Branch showed a hint of a smile and slowly hugged her back. Jamie's eyes widened with a smile of her own. Branch never accepted a hug, not even from Poppy. This lasted for a minute until the others joined in, including Bridget, and that's when Branch stopped hugging her. She missed his embrace, but he did so they wouldn't think less of her, which would not happen.

"Okay. Okay, I'll help. But I'm still not singing," Branch said, once out of the hug.

"Okay, people. Hair we go!" Poppy and Jamie yelled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Branch hugged Jamie back! OMG! I love it!