Chapter 3: Jamie and Branch

Jamie made it to Branch's bunker and knocked on the door. It was a specific knock that would signal Branch it was her.

(A/N Picture something other than the "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?" knock.)

He opened his mat, making her turn around.

"Hey, what's up?" he greeted with a smile.

"Nothing much. Just came to talk," she answered.

"Well, come on in," he offered.

They went inside and went down to the bunker. As they went down to the elevator, they couldn't help but glance at each other, but would look away if they were about to be caught. Once at the bottom, they went to the table.

"So what did you want to talk about?" Branch asked.

"About what happened earlier. Why do you act like that to them?" Jamie wondered.

"Because they don't understand me. You accept that I don't sing, dance, or hug," he answered.

"Yeah, but I still don't understand why we're keeping our friendship a secret," Jamie added.

"Are we really going to discuss this again?" Branch asked then explained, "I prefer to keep to myself and you're the only one I trust. If we don't let them know about what I do, I can continue to keep to myself and no one will think less of you."

"But I don't care if they think less of me," she responded.

"But I do," Branch gently argued.

"Look, I'm touched that you care about me, but the only one who would disapprove is Creek and he can't tell me what to do," Jamie explained.

Branch rolled his eyes at the mention of her boyfriend's name. He really didn't like him.

"What do you even see in him anyway?" Branch asked.

"That doesn't matter. What does matter is that I want us to be friends in public," Jamie said.

Branch smiled as he gently took her hand. They blushed a little until Jamie remembered something else.

"And one more thing, about the party, I think you might be right," she replied.

"You mean the fact that a Bergen could come and attack?" he asked.

"Yeah. I'm still going, but only to make sure that won't happen," Jamie explained.

"Well, as long as you're careful and making sure no one gets attacked, I'll allow it. But I wouldn't be able to live with myself if you got hurt. Or worse," Branch confessed.

Jamie smiled, got up, walked to him, and kissed his cheek. Branch was a little surprised but soon smiled with her.

"I'll be careful. And I know who to come to if a Bergen does come," she whispered then added, "And remember if you need anything, just call me up, 'cause I will always be there."

She placed a folded up piece of paper in front of him and left for the party.

Secretly, they didn't just like each other; they loved each other. Jamie loved Branch more than she liked Creek. But she felt that Branch only saw them as friends and that was it. But Branch felt the same way: that he loved her, but he thought she only saw him as a friend. He even thought the kiss was a just a friendly gesture; plus, she was with Creek. He didn't like or trust him, but if Jamie was happy, he was too. It just felt hopeless for them to admit any feelings they had for each other.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N So Jamie and Branch really do love each other, but don't feel they should admit those feelings. I know; I'm so typical, aren't I?