Chapter sixty-six

Life was getting better and better each day. In spite of the fact that it was more than three weeks now that I had seen or heard from Caden — and that was a source of deep sadness — I was still happier than ever before.

My heart was lighter and I felt freer each time I talked from my heart to Dr. Harper Williams. She had been surprised that I told my dad and about his reaction. The happiness she felt at that success made her challenge me by giving me a new task that I hoped I'd be able to fulfil soon enough.

However, now I was arriving in California in the Peterson's family jet and getting driven by the driver they sent to Kyle's parent’s mansion at Beverly Hills.

After seeing a lot of glamorous mansions since Caden came to my life, I'd to praise the Peterson's home too. It was beautiful and glamorous but had a homey feel to it that made me wonder how hard it would have been to understand why anyone would want to run away from all that.

There was an apprehension in me as I saw Kyle walking up to me in black expertly ironed linen pants and black polo T-shirt. He was dressed casually with his hair slicked back and to me, he seemed to walk with lighter steps.

Generally, he seemed more freer and relaxed than I'd ever seen him and now it surprised me that I'd never noticed that though he was always nice and friendly, there was always a deep sadness and reserve in his eyes and body posture. I never noticed till then that I saw him coming towards me with an entirely different body language.

He was looking relaxed and like the garment of sadness he had covertly worn was all gone now.

I was still staring at him in wonder when he finally came to stand in front of me. “Hey,” he greeted with two kisses on both of my cheeks, kisses I returned with some surprise but joy.

“Hey to you too. You look the same but also different from who I remember.”

Kyle laughed softly. “You too. I was surprised by that thought when it came to me immediately I saw you.”

My lips twitched into a smile as I accepted his words and walked with him into the house. “I just wish Allison can be that way too.”

I looked up at him and I saw him sigh heavily. “We are all happy we found her and though we are still keeping her a secret, my parents have already been told what happened in the past and they were absolutely devastated but after some time, they accepted it except there is now pressure for Allison to see a psychologist because she is kind of skittish like you. Maybe even more than you.”

I raised an eyebrow at him and his frown reduced as he smiled coyly at me. We'd finally passed the living room with shades obviously made from very silky sheer fabric that was very ‘drapey and droopy’ and added to the grandeur of the room. It with the high ceiling and clerestory windows. The room had black with gold accents furniture pieces.

We had finally passed that room and gotten to a drawing room of sorts. I'd seen a lot of staffs looking at both of us curiously as we walked by and I'd looked around as we passed but I'd concentrated more on Kyle's words as they rolled around in my head. And … I pitied Allison and knew why I was here. Knew why Kyle had called me immediately she came before the thing about psychologists came.

“I'm not promising anything but I'd try to talk to her and help in anyway I can.”

Kyle's eyes were reflecting so much thanks that I'd to look away and around the room where he led me to. My eyes landed on a painting of a man jumping off a cliff on the far side of the wall then at the baby grand piano in the room and the mini bar at the edge of corner of the room before I looked back at him.