Chapter twelve

Thanks to fmurphy5 for the amazing cover.

*******

Working on the shoes after a long time was frustrating at the beginning but I got a hang of it at last. I had difficulties remembering some of the things I learnt when I impulsively took the online course — more than a year ago — but it came back the more I tried.

After the first try that made Mia notice me and led to me being rejected by Stephen Micheal, I never tried to make shoes again for a long time. I didn't see the need to, since I didn't really know how to do it and I wasn't interested in learning.

I almost stopped designing but Mia was the one who stood by me and continued to encourage me.

I had practised for some time after learning professionally but the impulse that made me take the course faded away after some time. I was enjoying the new experience until I suddenly didn't feel that way anymore. I didn't feel the zeal that I felt at the beginning. It was during one of my many mental phases.

My shrink said the problem was fear of failure and the thoughts that learning it, was useless since I would never use the knowledge.

My dad and Andrea were surprised to find out I could make shoes. Andrea was more pissed than surprised though, because of all her lost time when I could have been making shoes for her.

Materials were sent to me by Fabian from the office in New York. And I was making progress, at least I had finished one and was currently on the second one. It felt nice working with quality materials this time. I enjoyed doing it which reduced my worry of a repeat of last time.

I was sitting on the chair, that I bought along with a table and put in my room to be able to work comfortably. I was trying to carefully glue the heel to the rest of the shoe when my phone rang. I thought of letting it go to voicemail but decided to pick it. I dropped the parts carefully on the table and picked up the phone.

An unknown number showed on the screen. "Hello," I said and heard no reply.

I checked the phone to see that the person was still there. "Hello?" I repeated.

The same silence was my answer and then I heard a click which showed that the person had hung up.

A frown grew on my face as I dropped my phone and raised an eyebrow wondering what the hell just happened.

I shook my head and went back to what I was doing to hear my phone ring again. I groaned and looked at the phone to see an unknown number again but not the same one.

I picked the call but I didn't say anything, waiting for the person to talk this time.

"Hi, Erica." I heard a somewhat familiar voice say, making me blink in shock.

"Adam?"

"I know you are surprised, I almost thought that you would not remember me. I am surprised that you even recognized my voice." He said with an unmistakable smile in his voice and I smiled.

"I'm not that forgetful, of course I remember you. I was just a little surprised to hear your voice."

"I had promised myself a billion times to call you in L.A. but I was knee deep in work. I am so sorry, so how was LA?" He asked in a nice way and like he was really interested in knowing.

"No, you don't have to apologize, I was also busy. L.A. was very good, I don't regret going but I am glad to be back."

He laughed softly. "It's always good to be back to your home but at least you have now been to L.A."