Chapter fifteen

The first thing I felt when I regained consciousness was someone shaking me vigorously. The sound of Caden's voice came next after that. "Erica, if you don't wake up now we are going to the hospital because I don't know what to do anymore."

I opened my eyes to see Caden's face. He looked at me and sighed. "Oh, you are finally awake. I was about to carry you to my car and drive you to the hospital. Dorothy isn't around to help and I was kind of freaking out."

I closed my eyes as his voice sounded a little too loud and I could feel a headache coming. His eyes did a slow perusal of my face. "How are you feeling now? You were unconscious for a while."

"I am fine now," I answered simply while rubbing my temple.

Caden shook his head to show that he didn't believe my simple answer. "We are still going to the hospital though. Just give me a minute, to get a maid to help you get ready."

I had an idea of what was wrong with me and going to the hospital meant being referred to some psychologist. My brain was quickly trying to think up ways to avoid going to see a doctor as I opened my mouth and started saying the things that came to mind.

"No, don't worry I will be fine. I just need to take my bath and sleep some more, I am strong enough to do that on my own by the way. I'm sure this is nothing serious." The words sounded false even to me but I knew that I had to dissuade him somehow.

Caden cocked his head to one side, something I have noticed he does a lot. His eyes were narrowed into slits as they bored into mine. "I am beginning to understand that you are a very stubborn person." He nodded at his statement and continued in a bland tone. "That's okay you can go, do whatever you think is what you need."

I was surprised at his quick agreement but I also didn't trust it. But the fear that he might change his mind in the next minute, made me accept it. "Uh, thank you for uh your help and please can you keep this from everyone. I mean keep it to yourself. I would prefer not to get them worried."

Caden shrugged. "Sure, as I said ANYTHING you want," he said, stressing the word.

His casual attitude was more than a little insulting because he was acting like he had no idea what was going on and couldn't care less. It irritated me that he could move from acting concerned to being bored so quickly.

I stood up and cautiously took steps, hoping not to fall in the presence of Caden again. I knew he was watching me like I would fall and then realize that the hospital was the best option but I wanted to prove him wrong.

I finally got out of the room and leaned on the railing of the stairs immediately I rounded the corner, to catch my breath. I couldn't understand why I was so breathless and tired from walking such a short distance but I was. I concede that the sickness must be really bad, but not like I was still willing to go to the hospital. I used the railings and wall to guide myself as I went to the room.

I went into the bathroom as soon as I got in and after stripping off my clothes. I sat on the floor because standing was making me feel tired and weak. I felt better just sitting down on the floor with the water from the shower hitting me from above. I felt like it was washing away my pain and suffering.

I had to stand up after some time though because Caden might come to check me. And I’d rather he didn't see me in that state.

My natural laziness had quadrupled. I just threw on some clothes without even looking at them and threw myself on the bed. I sighed happily because lying down made me feel so much better.

*****

I felt a now familiar hand tapping me and a familiar voice calling my name. I groaned at the interruption to my peaceful sleep. I felt like crying at the interruption of one of the greatest sleeps I’d had in a very long time.