Chapter thirty-nine

The day I first got my heart completely torn to pieces and broken by Caden started with me trying to be a caring person/lover/companion. Anything I could use to label I and Caden's relationship.

My plan was to cook dinner for Caden at his house as a surprise and as a sorry for not being able to see him for the last two days because of work and other stuff I had to deal with. Neither could I see him that night too because I had to be with my dad. His nurse received a leave of absence of sort so I had to be with my dad at home.

Thereby the apology in form of a surprise meal.

Knowing the code into his penthouse came in handy as I got easy access into his house and got ready to cook the food then put it in the microwave for him without him being none the wiser.

I was going to put a card on his side table in his room for him to know I was here and had cooked for him and if he didn't see it and called me to confirm it, I would call him and lead him to it.

I was extremely excited about doing this though I knew it was against my rules. Notwithstanding, I still wanted to do it for him because ever since the idea formed in my head earlier that day, I knew I wouldn't rest till I did it.

After getting in, I turned on the lights and went straight to the kitchen. I set the items for cooking the meal on the kitchen counter. I set to work thinking about how the weeks after the spa had been coming along. I had been glowing so much when I just got back from the resort that Andrea had almost killed me with her continuous pleading for the name of the spa but I had said no.

Life had continued beautifully, I dyed my hair back to its natural color and I and Caden's relationship stayed a secret but it grew better, deeper and more beautiful each day.

The problem though happened after I had cooked and set it all down. I cleaned up any evidence that I was ever there and was ready to leave.

I had turned off the kitchen light and just turned off the hallway lights when I heard voices. It sounded like Caden was muttering to himself as he walked in and the sound of another person's footsteps following him in was easy to pick up.

"It's weird that the door is open, she would have locked it behind her if she came to pick something." Caden was saying with genuine confusion and a little worry to why I had left the door unlocked and the light on.

"Who?" Came the question from second voice it sounded like it belonged to an older man.

I couldn't see them though as they were still at the door but for some reason I was frozen where I was cloaked by the darkness in the hall. It could have been because my surprise had just being destroyed or because the other voice was a little too chilling in sound.

It could have also been because I was afraid of exposing our secret relationship to whoever the stranger was because Caden would have to lie to the stranger but if he didn't, I didn't want to find out.

However if Caden came any closer he would see me if he proceeded beyond the living room, I was praying silently that that didn't happen though.

Caden's reply broke through my thoughts. "My housekeeper." Ouch. But understandable.

The other unseen man said, "Ha!" in comprehension as I heard them begin moving into view. What I saw made my eyes widen as I saw an older version and exact replica of Adam mixed with a little Kevin. The light in the living room illuminated them enough for my hidden form to see them.

What I saw made my decision to hide firmer. The blond hair and blue eyes with a tall form that showed he was still agile even though he was obviously in his fifties made me know this man was not just a stranger that looked like Caden's brothers.