Chapter 38 - Slowly Killing Me

Start from the beginning

Dante has already made an incredible job. Perks of having a perfectionist as the host. 

I look over at the huge crowd around me- the place is freaking filled to the brim with the underworld. It's at events like these that make you finally realize just how much are related to the underground. Everyone were wearing clothes according to the theme of white and blue- yes, including Jack because he wore a blue undershirt underneath that black blazer of his. 

Staff are weaving among the crowds, carrying silver platters of drinks and the occasional food on it. There were even another crowd on the overhang that overlooked the whole ground floor. A song blared from the DJ booth through the speakers and the dance floor was flaring with color. There was even fog to add effect and thrill to the dancing. 

Sadly, I'm not here to dance.

I take a few steps, accepting a glass of wine that a butler with a mask offered to me. As the butler shuffles past after discreetly handing to me a note from Dante, my first guest of the day finally came over. 

"Lovely night, isn't it?"

I turn around and sure enough, a woman dressed in a white dress that showed her knees and flowed freely to the floor behind her stood in front of me. She grins and places two fingers on the mini hat with feathers on her styled white hair. Her pure white mask was littered with diamonds which matched her diamond accessories. She resembled snow.

"I just love the snow." She smiles with a small smirk. "It's beautiful but cold."

I smirk and extend my hand out for a handshake. She grins and shakes my hand. "Silver is close-by. Search for him and he'll give you further orders."

"Very well." She releases her white gloved hand from mine and turns. But before she walked away, she glances back at me with a warm smile. "Its good to be home, boss." Then, she disappeared in the crowd.

Ivy Winter, 5th division commander and mostly known as 'Snow' for her pale looks that greatly resembles snow. Her 'family' name is Nitrogen- for liquid nitrogen is the coldest. A stealthy commander, gentle and silent which is why the term snow suits her incredibly. She's also very mysterious.

In case you haven't already realized, my task in this event is to shake the hands of every family member I meet to officiate their return and greet them home. They're already aware of how I will dress tonight and for me to recognize them, they must at least dress like their counterpart or drop hints in their lines like what Ivy did. 

I was about to search somewhere else when someone grips my shoulder and whispers in my ear.

"Long time no see, boss."

"Back off, John. No one said anything about being creepy."

The person who's holding me stands up straight and I hear him chuckle. "Is that how you greet your sibling, little brother? Especially after not seeing him for so long?"

"Its fucking Jack to you, John."

I roll my eyes and turn around to face him. A man with gray wavy shoulder-length hair, a dark blue-mask that reaches his chin and left the other side of his face uncovered highlighting his piercing light blue eyes. He has a light stubble and wore a white undershirt with a black vest and white tie. 

"Being mischievous again, I see?" I say, shaking his hand while Jack glared daggers at his back.

He smirks. "You know me too well. I shall take my leave along with Ivy then." And soon enough, he was out the door after teasing Jack a few times and cackling like a maniac.

John Drought, 3rd division commander and Jack's older brother. Seems to have a strange obsession with infuriating his little brother that results in Jack hating him even more. Family name is Hydrogen because just like the element, he is seriously dangerous. Even more so than Jack himself. We used to joke about John being a hydrogen bomb because when he's around during a fight, it was like everyone suddenly dispersed out of fear like when a bomb detonates.