Chapter 38 - Slowly Killing Me

Ladies, I present to you Chapter 38! Buckle up! You're in for a crazy ride! Also, please play the song I have attached to this chapter, it helps with setting the mood! Thank you!

And please, don't kill me after this *sweats*

Chapter 38 - Slowly Killing Me

"You know, that dress used to belong to your mother."

"She must have looked beautiful in it."

Jack smiles softly. "She did."

I smile as I look up at Jack in his tux. Jack has always talked so fondly about my mother, Beverly. Not that I blame him for anything- Jack was once in love with her but Mom only had eyes for Dad. He had to let go and eventually he met Jane, his wife now.

I looked down at the dark blue dress that once belonged to my mother. Its dark blue color is a radiant contrast against the snow. It had just begun snowing last week, perfect for the winter event. The dress flows down beautifully like that of a wedding dress- it was my mother's favorite dress for it was my father who gave it to her. 

"We're fashionably late, aren't we?" Jack says with a chuckle, giving a wave to the driver of the limo. 

I smile. "The main course always comes in the middle of an event." 

Jack smiles an amused smile but doesn't say anything as he leads me to the front steps of the grand mansion, limousines lined up neatly on either side of us on the driveway. I watch snowflakes fall gently onto the cleared pavement, lightly piling on my styled hair. A shiver runs down my spine when a small gust of wind breezes by as I instinctively pulled at my coat tighter. As we got closer to the stunningly decorated front doors where bodyguards were already expecting the both of us, Jack taps my arm. 

"Don't forget your mask, sweetheart." 

I grin. "I never will." I say, already putting on my dark blue mask over my eyes.

"I won't be with you throughout the event but I'll be watching from afar in case anything unwanted happens. Noah and the others are already inside, scoping out the place and also watching out for you. The rest depends on you. The Family members must have already recognized the others, so some of them would be coming straight to you once you enter."

"I know." 

"I'll be heading in first then, sweetheart." He tips his black fedora at me with a small smirk, the light glint in his eye from under his black mask not going unnoticed by me. I simply chuckle. I watch as he enter through the mahogany double doors, a glimpse of the event inside catching my eye. 

I wait for a few moments until one of the bodyguards voiced out. "You're safe to enter now, Miss. Mr. Ignatio has assigned us to watch over you from outside. There will be a few more watching you inside as well from among the crowds."

"My, my, what a lot of protection." I joke, stepping closer to the doors as a guard placed his hand on the door to push it open. Another guard takes my coat and folds it carefully. "Tell Dante I said thanks by the way."

"Will do, Miss." He replies, opening the door for me. 

I step in and already I was overwhelmed by the event. The whole mansion was decorated from top to bottom with a winter theme. The tiles were so polished you could see your own reflection in it clearly as if it was a mirror. The lights are also only in white and different shades of blue. A huge Christmas tree that almost touched the high ceiling where a few large diamond chandeliers were hanging from, sat tidily in the corner- decorated with the same color theme of blue and white.