Chapter 23 - Confession

"So have you told Law?"

"Tell him what?"

Nico glances at me before smiling.

"That your last name is actually Carter and that you're Maxon's daughter."

**

I chuckle lightly, the night breeze fanning my face. I shake my head, a small smile playing on my lips. "No. He doesn't have to know anything. Not now, anyway."

Nico nods slowly, looking away. "What about the wedding arrangement?" I stay silent and Nico sighs. "The both of you were basically paired up since birth. Do you still want a go at it?" He shifts his gaze from the view to me, his steel eyes boring into mine. "Or do you want to officially call it off?"

My hands tremble slightly at the thought as my heat clenched. But I knew my answer already.

"Call it off."

"Would you mind if I asked for an explanation?"

I shake my head again, lacing my fingers together and leaning my front body against the railing of the balcony. "The arrangement lasts until either cuts their ties off. In this case, my father died and The Family dispersed- your connections with the boss is gone and now, the deal is off too. Boss decides everything."

"But you're the boss now. You're his heiress."

"Not officially. I only took the title because my father passed away. He didn't left a will to give it to me. I know that my father wants me to lead but you know that tradition is tradition." I say, closing my eyes and exhaling slowly. "I only get the title officially once I turn 18 or 21- its up to me to choose when."

"Why let the chance slide?" Nico narrows his eyes at me slightly. "Its clear that you have feelings for my son and it only takes a dumb person to not see that he also feels the same."

"The Family is still trying to move forward, Nico. Its not easy and I have to be there to lead them every step of the way. We're still busy with avenging the injustice of my father's death. Its clear we were set up to have him killed. Family comes first before love." I stare back into Nick's eyes, determination filling me. "I'm the heiress and leader right now. Therefore, I can't have my feelings in the way."

Nico sighs in understanding. "What do I have to do then?"

"I don't want Law knowing who I really am." I start, slight hesitation in the tone of my voice. "Nor do I want him to be stuck with me. So, I want you to accept the next wedding arrangement that comes his way."

Nico chokes on his words as he looks at me in shock. "Accept it?"

"Yes. As the boss and his father, you still have control over him and you have the rights to accept any wedding arrangement whether he likes it or not. He doesn't have any say in it until he receives the title as leader if he wants to call it off- as long as it is before the wedding. What I want is that you accept it."

"May I ask why?"

"He's the future leader of The KINGS and I'm now the leader of The Family. Like I said earlier, family before love. Both parties needs to remain composed- I've seen a lot of cases where people break in order to save their loved ones, in this case, a lover. The same happened to Vinni. If the same happens to Law, where he has to choose between me or his gang, it'll ruin the mob's trust in him if he chose me."

"Knowing my son, he'll definitely choose you."

"Exactly. I'll tell him who I really am when The Family's done with our personal problems and after he gets married with another. He'll probably hate me when he finds out who I really am which is better. He'll be able to move on and love his future wife." I smile, closing my eyes. "That way, he'll be happy."