Chapter 35 - Dirty Secret

*raises hands* I didn't do anything. I swear I didn't *sweats*

Extra long chapter for you guys!

Chapter 35 - Dirty Secret

"Haven't I told you before to take care of yourself?"

I don't say anything as I watch Law massage my blistered foot, my leather boots aside and my arm and knuckles already bandaged with a med-kit from Law's car. We're in an abandoned factory, water streaming down from the holes in the roof but at least it provided shelter until the firing has went off. 

I'll make sure to beat Dante's ass next time I see him. 

Law looks up, concern in his eyes it made my mouth go dry at the surprise. "Answer me, Ava. I don't like it when you're quiet with me."

I look down and continue to play with the stray threads of the bandage around my hands but Law reaches out before I could abuse the patching any longer. He shoots me a warning look that says 'Touch it again and I won't bandage you again when that withers away'. Law then continues to caress my aching foot while I choose to wrap Law's jacket tighter around me.

I lick my lips, noticing the slight shakiness in my hands- maybe I'm just shivering from the cold. 

"Why're you doing this?"

Law doesn't look up but I could see the small pause when he heard my question. "Why do you ask?" He finally looks up and I see the true worry in his gray eyes- they're back to being the same warmth he once had for me. "Is it wrong for me to care for my own girlfriend?"

Girlfriend.

I shake my head to show that I won't push it any longer. Law gets the point and resumes his massaging while I watch with a million questions running through my head. It was silent except for the pattering of the rain and the cold breeze. 

Until I decided to blurt out one of the questions running through my head. 

"What are we?"

Law goes tense and rigid as his hands slows down to a stop. "What do you mean, love?" He asks, not looking up to meet my eyes.

I purse my lips. I have to ask him- its been two months and I have to know. 

"What are we now, Law?" I whisper but I'm sure he heard me. I reach out for his face and touch his cheek, Law finally looking up- a storm brewing in his gray eyes. The dilemma, the confusion, the conflict- it was all there. "What am I to you now?"

Truthfully, I didn't want him to answer. This is the one question I don't want to reply. I'm scared of what he'll say- will he say we're still lovers? Will he say that we're no more? Will he say that he still wants to be with me? Or will he say that he no longer needs me?

Law doesn't respond, only helps me put my boots back on before standing up to his full height. I stand as well but I look down at my feet, my hair wet from the raindrops and my body shivering- not from the cold, but from the anxiety. I close my eyes and finally look up, meeting Law's conflicting steel eyes, the mixed emotions swirling in them. 

"Ava." Law starts, shakiness evident in his voice. Then his tone drops a few octaves. "I don't even know anymore, love."

And somehow, that hurts way more than the other possible answers he could have said. 

I swallow although my mouth was dry. I could feel my eyes getting hotter but I brace myself- I don't want to cry in front of him. Not because of this. I clench my fists. "Then what now?"