Chapter 17 - No Promises

My thumb glided smoothly on the metal surface of the pendant that I was unconsciously playing with, my mind elsewhere as I twirled the necklace around in my hands. My head hurts more than usual- it was like I just woke up from a massive night of partying and with a tremendous headache.

In fact, I think I'm doing that right now with the bottle of vodka on the coffee table with my legs perched next to it.

My left eye unwillingly twitched and my grip on the pendant tightened as an unwanted memory reappeared. But before it could cause any further damage, I downed the bottle in one swig, slamming the empty bottle back onto the table. I leaned back and exhaled heavily, bringing the necklace to my eye level and just stared at it.

This hangover is going to be a bitch tomorrow morning.

I glanced at the window, my eyes drooping as raindrops pelted at the screen. Thunder soared and I gritted my teeth, tears stinging my eyes.

Its just like that night.

I shook my head furiously. I don't need to remember useless memories right now, I've got work to do. I flipped my phone open and scrolled aimlessly for a few moments when a message popped up.

Heard you found her. Are you planning on closing in anytime soon? -Lucia

I narrowed my eyes at the text, staring at it for what seemed like hours. Only one word registered in my mind when I've read the text countless times.

Sierra.

I've finally found her. Who knew she would be the one to come to me? But finally meeting her yesterday from afar had triggered something somewhere inside me which is the cause of my wild flashbacks right now. I've only just saw her and already, I'm thinking of how pretty her head would be on the wall of my living room.

Long blonde hair and blue eyes, exactly how I pictured her in my mind during nights of breakdowns and rage moments. Tall, slim and pretty- I may sound envious right now but its way far from that.

I despised her before I even met her.

She's only been around for a few days and she's already popular, being all friendly with the students of the school. Rhiannon and Vern have been a close eye on her although they look like they were ready to attack anytime soon if I hadn't told them to hold back. It was clear that we were agitated upon her sudden arrival and appearance and Law was no dumb guy- he had caught on but thought better than to question me about it.

Law is a man of respect, I have to admit that.

"Ava?"

I turned around, my cold eyes softening at the sight of the twins standing at the opposite side of the couch. I smiled at their interlocked hands. They had each other.

"Are you okay?" Michael asked, walking over to me with Michelle tagging along.

I reached out my hand and patted his head. "I'm fine, Mikey. What are you two doing out of bed?"

"We thought you were in trouble so we decided to check on you." Michelle said timidly. She released her fingers from Michael's hand and wrapped her tiny arms around my leg in a hug. "Its okay to be sad, Ava."

Michael hugged my other leg. "We miss Daddy too."

At the mention of his name, I couldn't deny my feelings anymore and before long, tears were streaming out of my eyes in a silent cry. It has been way too long since his death. He was our rock. Our everything. No matter how much we thought we've moved on from pain- we just don't.