06:00

Memories decay exponentially over time. Either that or it's taken away.
—Poisoned in Red

          "What're bats, Cross?"

          "They're night dwelling birdies, Princess."

          "Aren't those called owls?"

          He grins while playing with her hair and raising a bunch up to his nose. "Well, the difference between the two is that people consent to owls and not bats."

          "Why?" she questioned, regretfully. "Poor bats."

          "Because," he paused. "Bats bite."

         "They bite?" He nods in affirmation. She straightened up and gently sunk her tiny teeth into Cross' cold skin, displaying her two missing fore teeth. "Ravens bite too!"

           Amused by her choice of words, his arms swathed around her as he said, "I thought I've been tainting you like this all these years but your heart is still the purest thing I'd ever seen."

          One click and Raven's eyes are open, swallowed back to reality, heart pounding and mind empty. It was as if a hypodermic of adrenaline has been emptied into her carotid. Slowly pulling herself up from the soft sheets, she acknowledged the coolness of the air and its loamy fragrance.

          "Prince Cross," she mentions to no one in particular, upon realizing that she was alone within the tainted walls of this unknown place. A few devastatingly still seconds later, she suspiciously eyed at the door slowly creaking open.

          "You're awake."

          "Scott," she calls. "Where am I?"

          "You're. . ." he hesitated, taking a seat in front of her. "In my room."

          "Your room? Glacia Palace?"

          "Yes. I brought you in here last night, remember?"

          His eyes bore into her cluttered ones as she fiddled with her fingers in deep thought. "Last night, right. I can't be seen sleeping in a prince's room like this, I'll surely be punished."

          "As I said last night, Rave, relax. I got it."

          "Right," she muttered. "Last night."

          Drinking in the silence that caressed her skin on an inky night devoid of even moonlight or stars, she discovers the more absolute it is the stronger its medicinal effect. The stillness was as pure as the wintry blanket outside. Unknowingly, she was aware that something in her heart was missing. When her ears became more accustomed to the lack of sound she thought she'd ask the first thing that came to mind.

          "Have you ever—" she dithered about how she should handle such a question. "Have you ever seen an inhuman creature?"

          He brows furrowed in confusion. "I'm sorry?"

          "Like," she breathed. "Forget it."

          "Rave, you're being terribly incomprehensi—"

          "It's nothing," she concluded.

          "Alright."