Chapter 15 - Just one bite

Chapter 15

We made it back to the castle just before lunch and so when we arrived, lunch had been prepared in the same spare dining room as breakfast. The first thing I did once we were back at the castle was take off my shoes. They went perfectly with the outfit I was in, but they did kill your feet. I took them off and my bare feet touched the cold marble, but it was so soothing against my sore feet. I sighed in relief and handed Delia my shoes while I took my jacket off. Delia handed me a pair of navy blue ballet flats to walk around in and I put them on.

Salem and I went back to our room for a moment where I put my jacket away. Salem came up behind me in the wardrobe and hugged me to his chest, which made me gasp and then giggle. He snuggled and nudged his face into my neck before lightly nipping at it. I moaned out at the feeling that rushed through me and then it made me think about Salem’s diet.

I could already feel him slightly interested in my body, so I thought it best to end it before it went further. I pulled out of his arms and turned to look at him. I smiled at him and he leaned into me, but I put my hand to his chest to keep him at bay. I needed his full attention.

“What is it, Cassandra?” He asked me, worry flickering through his eyes.

“Tell me about drinking blood.” I say to him and he looks at me with confusion mixed in with worry. I’m sure it was worry about how I was going to take it, but after everything I had been through, there wasn’t anything I could not take. “Where do you get your supply?”

“The blood we are served is a mixture of donated blood brought from blood banks, donated blood from willing donors and animals; just a hint to give it texture and keep us sane.” He tells me and it makes me feel better that they aren’t keeping human slaves in the basements and draining them dry.

“I’ve seen that you can eat, but it seems only things dripping in blood.” I said and he nodded to me in agreement.

“But not all the time as it takes our bodies longer to digest, which is why we mainly stick to blood based soups or sorbets. Basically liquid stuff that won’t takes us days to rid ourselves of.” He told me and I could understand now why he had a soup sort of thing to eat most days.

“What type of blood do you like the most?” I asked as I walked out of the wardrobe and sat down at my vanity table. I looked at myself and sighed; I didn’t look like myself. I started taking the diadem out of my hair, trying not to mess up my hair too much and once it was out, I felt a little more like myself. Salem came up behind me and put his hands on my shoulders. They were colder than my own body temperature.

“I like O-Negative the most, but there is this one rare type of blood I haven’t tried that is rumoured to taste so exquisite that it is practically orgasmic.” He told me and he spoke of it in such a husky and hushed tone that it made me shiver.

“And where can this rare blood be found?”  I asked and Salem slowly lowered himself down till his face was next to mine.

“In a difference place for everyone.” He told me in hushed tones. “It is found in the veins of your soul mate.” He told me in a whisper and my heart rate shot up. He wanted to taste my blood, but I was worried this would turn me into a vampire. He must have sensed my worry as he kissed my cheek and nuzzled up against me. “Don’t worry my love; the only way for you to be turned is for me to drink you till you’re an inch from death and then feed you my blood.” He told me as he kissed up and down my neck.

“Will it hurt me?”

“What?” He asked as he looked at me.

“When you bite me, will it hurt?” I asked in worry.