Chapter 2 - High Society Ball

Chapter 2

"Will you hold still?" Adeline huffed at me for what felt like the millionth time as she fooled around with my hair. I call it fooling around, but she calls it styling. To me, styling my hair, is putting it in a ponytail or plat. She'd already attacked me with the make-up and I could still taste the powder on my tongue. Now she was attacking me with curlers and rollers and hairspray, oh the hairspray. Yuk.

I swear if I went even near a magnet right now, my whole head would be stuck to it as there were so many pins in my hair that my head felt heavy. I'd been here for what felt like days, but I'm probably, well more than probably, over exaggerating a tiny bit, but I had been stuck here since the end of school. I'd told my parents about the dance once I got home the night I picked my dress and they said that it was a good idea for me to go and be a part of the school functions for once. So I told them I would be going straight to Adeline's after school and staying over too after the ball. They were ok with it as long as I was home by midday tomorrow.

So since school had gotten out at 3:30 I had been sitting in this chair letting my best friend attack me. It was now almost 6. She said I had more work to be done to and that she would merely take an hour. I found that quite rude, but then she was being honest. I never really cared about my appearance.

I felt the last hot roller being taken out of my hair and then the movement of strands of my hair to pin it in places. Then with a tap on my shoulder and a clear of her throat, I was allowed to open my eyes. I looked into the mirror and stared at the girl looking back at me with her mouth agape. She was stunning, to say the least and it wasn't until I moved the same time she did that I realised that we were the same person.

My hair was curled in loose and stunning curls with some strands coming behind my head to be formed into a tight bun behind my head. There were clip-in-crystals along the side of my head towards the bun that held some of my hair while the rest flowed free. My eyes were outlined with black eye liner and mascara. The eye shadow was black with white glitter over the top of it. My cheeks were flushed with a light pink and my lips were blood red. My skin seemed to sparkle from the glitter in the powder and all I could do was stare.

"Yes, you look magnificent; now carefully get into your outfit." My best friend ordered me and I nodded meekly to her as I stood up and went over to where my dress hung. I touched the tulle and felt the embroidery underneath my fingertips. I stripped down to my strapless bra, which let me tell you can be a little bit uncomfortable as they are so tight, and panties before stepping into the dress. I pulled the heavy dress up to my chest and went out to my best friend, who had straightened her blonde hair before clipping in a diamond hair pin. She turned to me and understood why I came out, she told me to turn around and I did. I felt her hands on my back and then the tugging of the corset back as she tied me into the dress. With one last final tug and oomph from me, I was in and it was tight, but showed off my body really well. My boobs looked huge and my figure looked curvaceous. I looked like I belonged at this ball.

I put on the shoes and walked over to my best friend's bed. In my clutch bag, which she had given me, was my ticket, my phone, some cash and a lipstick. We would be driven to the ball in a limo by one of Adeline's drivers and tonight I would get to feel like one of the other teenagers at my school.

Adeline and I left her house at 8, which was the time the ball started, but she said that you never want to be the first to these things and it was better to be fashionably late, which she said we were. She was in a baby blue, a line, sequined sweetheart dress with blue heels on and it came to the floor, but didn't billow out like mine did. In the limo my palms would not stop sweating and that feeling of dread just kept coming over me the closer I got to the ball. I felt like I could have been sick at any moment. I breathed in through my nose and out through my mouth slowly to calm my raging nerves, but a big part of me felt like running back home.