Chapter nineteen compassion

I was awoken by Faith's cries, opening my eyes I saw a nurse checking on Janice, I check my watch and saw that it was five am, she gave me a warm smile as I took Faith from her cot and taking a bottle of formula from the warmer I test it on the back of my hand and begin feeding her.

The nurse then gave me a quick run down of Janice's condition before leaving the room. Well basically it was going to be a few more days before she would be able to go home or move around on her own, poor girl, that bastard certainly did a number on her and she still found the strength to save my life, it was going to be a while before I could wrap my head around that fact.

I had just finished changing Faith's diaper when Janice began moaning in her sleep, placing Faith back in her cot I went and sat beside her mother. She was turning her head from side to side while mumbling. "Please Leon, stop, you're hurting me, stop please stop." She was crying and trembling and I began shaking her gently to wake her up.

Her eyes flew open and she bolted upright. Sweat bead on her forehead as she gasps for breath then winced as pain shoot through her body. "shhh it's okay, you're safe now he'll never hurt you again, I promise." Tears ran down her cheeks as she looked up at me. "I can't fight him anymore, he's too strong, I'm tired....I'm....so tired...." Her voice trails off as she closed her eyes and rests her head on my chest.

I let her lay against me for a while as her breathing returned to normal, I then laid her gently back against her pillow, then stayed beside her in case she woke up again but she didn't and at six thirty I went to find the nurse so she could keep an eye on them until Miss Alice arrived and don't worry I know that she could still be in danger even though she's in a private hospital so two of my cousins were keeping an eye on her room 24/7, they are Michael and Benny.

I had just stepped from the shower when dad entered my room. "Hi Son, I brought you your fruits, how are you feeling?" "I've to say, a little excited to be honest." "Don't worry; you'll do just fine, now my last examination of Janice showed that she isn't out of the woods yet." He said looking at some papers.

"But she should be much better in the next few weeks, she doesn't have an infection, no internal bleeding, her ribs are healing nicely and she's isn't HIV positive."Dad explains. "I of course will be running another HIV test on you both in about six months but so far you're both negative, now physically she will be okay but emotionally I'm not so sure." Dad said with a sigh. "She keeps having nightmares." I said. "Well that's to be expected but in the mean time we'll continue to do everything we can for her and her daughter who I notice is getting very attached to you."

"Of course she is because she loves her Uncle Tyler." I turned and saw dad smiling at me. "What?" I asks innocently. "You have a special gift son; you'll make a wonderful father some day." "Well if God answers my prayers, that day will come in a few months because I'm still hoping that the child Kayla is carrying is mine." Dad made a funny face but said nothing. "Any way I've to go, have a good day and remember, take it easy, one step at a time alright." Dad said. "I'll try." I said hugging him.

I sigh heavily as I leaned against the wall in the locker room; it had been a hectic morning. I got my schedule for my training and I it was my second day of my hands on training in the OR, plus I still had to do my job, damn talk about a lot but I would be lying if I said it wasn't all very exciting.

I was about to leave the room when Jason and Jessica walk in. "Hey T.J how are you?" Jason ask bumping shoulder with me as Jessica hug me. "Hey guys, I'll be alright I guess, good news though, I haven't thought about her all morning because of my hectic schedule." I snort. "And you'll be happy to know that you were both right, she knew that I was thinking about postponing the wedding and that girlfriend of the year performance was all an act." I said with another sigh.