43*

Jane

Pain.

I felt pain.

I opened my eyes and looked around our dark bedroom. The sharp pain in my stomach made me gasp. "Ow." I looked over and Harry was fast asleep beside me. I took a deep breath and tried rolling on to my other side. The sharp pain hit me again and this time I let out a loud cry. "Harry?" I moved him.

"Hmm?" He groaned in his sleep.

"Harry, wake up, my belly hurts," I said crying. He sat up quickly, turning on the light. His hair was disheveled and he was in only a pair of boxers. "Ow!" I grabbed my side. He quickly got up and went over to my side.

"Are they like the practice contractions the doctor was talking about?" I could tell he was trying to stay calm but I was in so much pain.

"I don't know, it feels like I'm being stabbed on my side." I stood up and he held my hand as I walked a little the pain disappeared for a few minutes and then it felt like I was being stabbed again. "Ow fuck!"

"Alright, we're going to the emergency room. Let me get you some clothes, sit down." He told me. I sat on the edge of the bed and cried quietly to myself in pain. A minute later he walked out of our closet dressed with an outfit for me to wear. He grabbed my hair up and tied it behind my head. I felt sick and dizzy as I got up to get dressed. "I got you, baby, lift up your arms." I did as he said and got dressed. He helped me all the way to the car where he drove to the hospital.

About an hour later we were being checked by a doctor. I was hooked up to a bunch of machines.

"Well, the baby looks fine, and everything seems normal. You're thirty-one weeks so what it could have been was Braxton hicks contractions. They are usually painless but maybe the position you were in made them hurt a lot." She explained. "I'm going to have them keep you here for another two or three hours hooked up to the monitors just to be safe. New mommies are always a little scared when they feel the first big contraction."

"Is that what labor is going to feel like?" I asked feeling a bit taken back.

"It's different from person to person. I had a woman in here in her forties who had thirty-six-hour labor and said it didn't hurt as bad as she thought. But I've also had a sixteen-year-old that had four-hour labor and said it was the most painful thing she's ever experienced. It all depends on you." I nodded understanding. "Practice breathing exercises and drink plenty of water." After she left Harry read the pamphlet she left while I lay on the hospital bed.

How the hell was I going to push this baby out of me? Maybe I was too young for all of this. I could feel tears fall down my cheeks and my heart rate began to increase slowly. "Jane?" I sniffled.

"I can't do this." I shook my head. "This baby is going to rip me apart. Or what if I can't push him out and he gets stuck or-"

"Jane!" He looked at me as if I was crazy. "You can do this, and you will. Everything will be fine." I rolled my eyes. Anger formed inside me.

"No, it won't, you don't have to push a baby out of your dick so you don't know," I said angrily. He stared at me almost amused. "Stop smiling or get out." He shook his head leaning back on the chair.

"Nope." He popped the p. "I'm quite comfortable here, now do the breathing exercises." He shrugged.

"Why are you trying to piss me off? You're not helping me at all." I crossed my arms.

He threw the pamphlet on the floor and leaned over me a few inches from my face. "I'm not helping you at all?" He said surprised. "Who the hell has been massaging your feet, making dinner and building furniture. Who believes in you and that you can have this baby? Now I know you're scared, but don't ever say that I'm not helpful because I just got you dressed to come to the hospital for practice contractions!" He raised his voice in the last part. "So stop blaming me for shit and do the damn breathing exercises as I told you!" He sat back on the chair picking up the pamphlet to read again.