40

Jane

I sat on the floor of the library bathroom and tried to compose myself, taking a deep breath, going out to rinse my mouth.

I just threw up my lunch.

I walked out of the bathroom and saw Phoebe on the phone. She was ordering dinner for us because we both had to stay late to clean. She hung up the phone and looked at me. "You okay?" I nodded.

"Yeah just, I knew that shrimp was bad earlier and I threw it up." Phoebe nodded and then squinted her eyes at me. "What?"

"Can I ask you something?" I nodded. "How long have you and Harry been together?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I think it's going to be six months on Monday." She nodded her head. "Why?"

"Just because." She shrugged. "And you guys have sex?" I nodded awkwardly. "Protected sex?" I flipped through a book and stopped.

"What are you trying to say?" I looked at her.

"Jane, you never throw up, let alone from shrimp that I also had and feel fine after eating." She put a hand under her chin. "When's the last time you had your period?" I was about to tell her to fuck off when I realized something. It was the day after Harry's birthday that I started. Three days of my period, but now it was almost the end of March and still no new period.

"Oh my god." I clutched my chest and she walked over to me. "Oh my god!" I shook my head. It hit me like a ton of bricks.

"Jane, chill out I'm probably wrong." She held on to my shoulders. "Jane!" I began hyperventilating and she had to pull out a paper bag so I could calm myself.

"I can't be pregnant, do you know how pissed off mom and dad would be-" oh god the look they would give me.

"Are you kidding, they would be ecstatic. Besides you would be two years older than they were when they had Holden." I sat on the floor and began crying. "Jane, everything is going to be fine."

"No, it's not, I'm too young, and I'm not even living with Harry or married or-"

"Jane this is probably just a false alarm. Are you on the pill?" I nodded. "Okay so maybe you have something else, like- wait do you guys have unprotected sex?" I looked away awkwardly, Valentine's day was the first thought that popped into my brain. "Jane, you know you suck at taking the pill." I rolled my eyes, I had been taking it every day. Wasn't I?

"Oh my god, I need to talk to Harry." I pulled out my phone. She stopped me taking my phone away.

"Dude, just wait. Maybe give it a few days and if you feel sick then go to the doctor. Besides, maybe you're late and you throwing up was your period and it's going to be really bad this month." I nodded taking a deep breath.

"You're right, I'll wait." I agreed. I'll wait a few days and everything will be fine.

*
*
*

Harry sat at his desk reading something for his class out loud to me. I sat on his bed finishing my notes for my class. It was our six month anniversary and we had decided to stay in.

"How does the end sound?" He asked turning his chair. His essay was really good, he was trying so hard to pass the class. It made me really proud to see him succeed.

"Good, sounds really good actually." It was amazing how well I could listen when I had a million things on my mind. "Can we talk?" I set my stuff aside.

He looked at me and put his notebook down. "Okay." He said slowly.

"Harry-" he raised a hand stopping me.