21

Jane

"Okay, Halloween has to be my favorite holiday ever," Niall says walking around behind me with the cart of returned books. "It sucks that it's on a Tuesday this year."

I placed Pride and Prejudice back in its place and walked around the corner of the last bookshelf. "Yeah, tomorrow is going to be fun in the morning because the kids come in and ask for candy." I cheered going back to the front counter. I stopped dead in my tracks as my sister Phoebe sat on my chair smiling at me.

"It's a Halloween miracle!" She cheered.

"Hey!" I ran over and hugged her. "You're here, when did you get in?"

"Like now, came straight here." Niall walked around and smiled. "Who's that?" Phoebe checked him out. She really had no chill when it came to boys.

"That's Niall he works here, didn't you meet him last time?" She shrugged. "Niall, this is Phoebe, my sister," I called him over.

"-and your new co-worker." She shook his hand. "Oh yeah, by the way, I'm going to be working here part-time again, just until I get another job." She let me know.

She walked back behind the counter sitting in my chair, putting her feet up on the counter. "Awesome," I said sarcastically to myself. I went over to the other counter where I opened up the sign-in sheet for a book club when I heard someone come in the library. I looked over greeting Louis and Harry. Louis looked confused as he had never stepped into a library before. Harry had his backpack and looked annoyed. "Hey...you two?" Harry gave me a look almost to say 'I'll tell you later.'

"Hi, my love." He leaned over giving me a quick kiss. I could feel Phoebe's eyes on me at the word 'love'.

"Jane, how are you?" Louis asked.

"I'm great, nice to see you again without umm-" I stopped shaking my head to get rid of the image in my mind.

"A girl, yeah yeah." He chuckled. "No, I came to drop off Harry, and I was wondering if you'd be interested in coming to my festivities tomorrow?"

From behind me, I heard the chair move and then heard Phoebe. "Like a party?"

"Louis this is Phoebe my sister, Phoebe you remember Harry, and this is his roommate Louis." They waved at each other.

"Phoebe? You know I also have a sister named Phoebe." She smiled at him. "Well tomorrow night, Halloween party at our house, bring something if you can. Wear a costume, it's mandatory. Bring your sister and the little blonde behind the counter over there." He pointed to Niall who looked confused. "Fake blonde I must add, but the more the merrier."

"Will do, I'll see you then." Louis left and Phoebe went over to flirt more with Niall, leaving Harry and me alone.

"Can we talk outside really quick?" He asked me. I nodded walking out with him to sit on the table outside.

"What's going on?" He took a deep breath.

"I haven't really been honest with you, about something important." My heart dropped and I had a nervous feeling. "Remember how I told you it's been a while since I've had alcohol?" I nodded remembering he had mentioned something like that on our trip to the beach. "Well it goes a little deeper than that, I've had a bit of an issue in the past."

"Oh, you're a-" Not wanting to sound rude I stopped myself before saying the word.

"Alcoholic? Yeah, I am but it's been almost nine months, but recently any small thing triggers me and I've reached for the bottle so many times." He seemed devastated to tell me this.