Chapter 57

Jay was sleeping when he felt his phone buzz. Normally, he'd sleep through it, but he was expecting to hear from Nathan about his flight this morning.

Text from Karen: Sorry if I am waking you James. I am going to pick Nathan up at the airport. Would you like to come?

He quickly sent her a tax back.

Text from Jay: Of course. How much time do I have?

Text from Karen: I am about 10 minutes away.

Jay told her that was fine and quickly threw on jeans and a hooded sweatshirt. He waited downstairs on the street so she didn't have to come up to his flat. It was also messy and he didn't want her seeing that either.

It was drizzling out so he made sure to stay under the awning.

He smiled when she pulled up. Jay headed over to the driver's side and motioned for her to put the window down.

"Hello sweetie." Nate's mum said.

Jay leaned in and kissed her cheek. "Hello. Thank you for thinking of me."

"Hurry and get in." she said.

Jay ran around the car and hopped into the passenger seat. "What time does his flight get in?"

"In an hour." She said and began to drive. "So how are things James?"

Jay pulled his hood off and shook out his curls a bit. "Well, it has been rough without Nath, but it has been good to have time off from work."

Karen smiled. "Can I just tell you how happy I am that you and Nathan are together? He absolutely adores you."

Jay smiled. "I can't tell you how happy I am that you are happy about it. Better than I can say about my family." He said sadly.

"Well." She said and grabbed his hand. "You are like family to us James. We love you."

Jay smiled. "Means a lot to me. Thank you."

She could tell that he was thinking of his father. "He'll come round James. He is just shocked and stubborn."

Jay nodded. "I am planning on reaching out. I just need some time."

Karen squeezed his hand. "He is lucky to have you as a son. If he forgets that, I will remind him."

Jay loved Nathan's mum. She really filled a small portion of the void that was gone after his mother passed.

"So, why is it that you are picking him up?" Jay asked.

"Well, my cousin just had twin babies and she wants Nathan and Jess to see them." She explained.

"Oh, so he has to go to home tonight?" he said sadly.

Karen frowned. "Yes, I am sorry. Did you have plans?"

Jay shook his head. "No, just looking forward to spending time with him is all."

"You could come if you like." She said happily.

"Oh I dunno. I don't know if it is too early for couple family stuff." He said feeling a bit uncomfortable.

"Oh pish posh. My family would love to meet you." She said blowing it of like it was nothing.

She could sense his hesitation. "Well, you think about it dear." She said then turned on the radio.

"Does he know I am coming?"

Karen smiled. "No, I was hoping it could be a surprise. What do you think?"

"I love that idea. Great minds think alike Karen."