Chapter 38

Later that evening, the boys were warming up as their friends and family gathered in the reserved section of the venue. Jay was still not back from dinner with his dad. He had about an hour and a half until they had to go on stage.

In the VIP section, their friends and family has prime seating and their own bartender.

Karen waited for Jay's father as she sipped her white wine spritzer. He was not going to get away with trying to intimidate her son. She was also concerned about Jay. She had been like a second mum to him after his own mother passed a few years ago.

(Fact Insert: I know this is not true-needed it for my story- apologizes to Jay's very much alive mum. Ha Ha. Also, I have no idea what Jay's father's name is so we'll call him Carl.)

Back to the story...

Jay looked at his phone to check the time. "I've absolutely got to go soon dad."

His father nodded. "I will get you back in time, don't worry son."

"Perhaps we can spend more time when we go to Nottingham in a few days."

Just then Mr. McGuiness's phone rang. He held up his hand indicating that he had to take the phone call. "Hello. Yes dear."

Jay squinted his eyes at his father. "Was he....talking to a woman?"

Jay's father looked at him apologetically. This was not the way he wanted his son to find out. "I will be home later tonight. Yes. Ok me too. Bye Bye."

Jay just stared at him. "What was that?"

"She is just a friend."

"Well that is a lie."

Mr. McGuiness did not want to upset his son. "Listen, when there is something to tell, I will tell you. We'll all have dinner when you are in town. Okay?"

Jay nodded. "Alright then."

"I was hoping maybe we could go on a double date possibly." His father said hopeful.

Jay swallowed hard. "But I am not dating anyone dad."

His father looked annoyed. "How are you supposed to when you have that homo hanging all over you."

"Dad that was completely out of order!"

He rolled his eyes. "Stop being so god damn sensitive James. Christ!"

Jay fought back tears. "I just...don't talk about him like that. He is like a brother and..."

"I think he wants to be more than your brother."

Jay banged his hand on the table and some people in the diner looked over at them. "Just please stop that dad."

His father leaned in a bit embarrassed with Jay's outburst. "I didn't raise you to be a queer lover and.."

"You didn't raise me dad! Not really. Mum did." He said with tears in his eyes.

"Well excuse me for providing for my family! I put food on the damn table for all you kids!"

Jay felt bad. "I just meant that, mum understood me."

"What that you preferred to prance around instead of get dirty on the field? Is that what she understood?"

Jay couldn't talk to him. He just shut down. "I'm sorry dad. You are right. I do appreciate what you did for us."

Just then the waitress came over. "Would you like more tea?" she asked sweetly.

Jay nodded. "Yes, thank you."

She smiled flirtatiously at Jay. "Let me know if you need anything else?" she said with a wink then slowly walked away.