Chapter 1

Sugarscape Reporter: So Jay, can you tell us about your musical background? Our readers want to know.

Jay: Well, it was a bit of a shock to my family, especially my dad who was hopin’ I was going to be a footballer.

Tom laughed.

Jay: Thanks Tom. Anyway, when I got into dance, he was not that happy about it.

Sugarscape Reporter: Oh that must have been hard.

Jay: Yeah, but when he saw me play, I think he knew I was more of a dancer than an athlete.

Sugarscape Reporter: Well, I’m sure he is supportive now isn’t he Jay?

Jay forced a smile. “Oh of course he is. I think all of our parents are.” He said then glanced over at Nathan. They exchanged a knowing glance.

Nathan was his best mate out of all of the lads in the band. Nathan knew that Jay’s father did not except him completely for who he was. Jay was so strong and positive that it was hard not to feel his energy when you were round him.

In the early days of the band, Nathan and Jay had been roommates a lot. Nobody knew the shit that Jay went through with this father better than Nathan.

After the interview the lads were hanging out feasting on the spread Sugarscape had left for them.

Jay was picking at some pretzels on one of the tables while sipping from a beer bottle. Nathan causally made his way over to Jay. He pretended he was looking for something to eat.

Jay smiled. “I’m fine Nath.”

Nathan patted him on the back. “Just checking on you mate.”

He nodded. “I appreciate it, but I’m over it.”

Nathan raised an eyebrow at him. He kept starring at him until he finally turned to face him. “What? I’m fine.”

Nathan put his hands up in defeat. “A’lright mate.”  He said then began to walk backwards. “See you at the pub tonight aye?”

Jay nodded. “See you there.”

Just then one of the stylists walked over to Jay and decided to make some small talk.

“You looked fabulous today by the way.” Juan said to Jay in a high-pitched voice.

Jay shook his head. “Mate, you picked out my clothes.” He said with a laugh.

“Oh that is right. Fuck, I am talented.” He said with a giggle.

“It takes a genius to make us straight 5 guys look good.” Jay said then bit into a pretzel.

“Hmm all 5 huh?”

“Ugh, yeah. What are you playing at?” Jay asked feeling a bit threatened.

Juan rolled his eyes.“I mean….well, what about sweet ass over there?”

Jay almost choked. “Wha? Who?”

Juan nodded over to the sofa by the wall. Nathan and Kelsey, Tom’s girlfriend, were chatting and laughing on the sofa.

“Who Nathan?”

Juan put his hand over his heart and fanned himself. “Yes Oh god the things I could do to that…..”

“Whoa…..mate. Nath’s not gay.”

Juan looked confused. “Am I losing it?”

Jay nodded. “Probably mate. Nath is definitely not.”

Juan squinted his eyes at him. “Well he’s got to be at least bi.”

Jay chuckled. “You are barking up the wrong tree mate.”

“Damn.” Juan said with a huff then stormed off.

Jay shook his head then glanced over at Nathan on the couch. He tried to get Juan’s comments out of his head. He knew Nathan, there was no way he could be gay. Right?