Epilogue

Epilogue

When Lucy reached two Alex and I tried for another baby and it happened. He was gorgeous a spitting image of Alex. Lucy loved him very much, always offering to babysit him if Alex and I wanted to go out for the evening, which we did a lot.

Our love was different now that we have a family. We loved each other eternally but we also loved our children.

Every year we visited Olivia and Mike at the house. Their son Tom grew bigger every year.

Our daughter Lucy grew and turned beautiful and our son Liam was cute and lovable.

Tom and Lucy got on well even with the age gap between them. To Liam, Tom was his big brother.

As Lucy hit her teenage years, I saw her get interested in boys; I'd take her out and get her things that she wanted. She had a couple of boyfriends that lasted a couple of months.

Occasionally I saw Liam giving advice to Lucy on boys but she never listened. She never seemed to have a boyfriend in the summer; she hung out with Tom and his friends. They had fun together. She meets up with Harry and talks to him; he’s more of a cousin than an uncle. He’s got his own story to tell but it is beautiful.

When Lucy was seventeen we go to visit Olivia, Tom was now nineteen a very mature young man, I’ve been there all his life. Something was different about Lucy that summer. That summer Lucy was always on the beach with Tom or at some party with him.

Alex and I stayed in my room; it was still the same, Lucy in one of the attic rooms and so was Liam. Less people live here now, less people running away from things they fear.

One night while in my room I looked out onto the beach, I remembered every moment I spent there, from the moment Alex’s lips touch mine to our wedding day and far beyond.

I saw two young people on the beach standing opposite each other, their hands clasped. I saw the boy lean forward and kiss the girl, I watched every second of that kiss, and I saw their love for each other. Once they finished I watched them walk back towards the house I saw their faces, it was Lucy and Tom. I always knew somewhere deep inside me that they would get together. I had to tell them to be careful, I understood what it was like to fall in love so young. I smiled anyway at them. I was happy.

I heard the door open up from behind me. They walked over to me, their arms circled my waist and held me close. I turned to face him and kissed his lips like the first time.

After the kiss ended, I smiled up at him. “I love you Alex, I always will.”

“I love you too my love,” Alex kissed me. We ended up lying next to each other in bed, our arms tightly around each other.

“Do you think we would’ve fallen in love if we met under different circumstances,” I asked.

“Yes definitely our lives might have been different but our feelings would be the same. They are too strong to deny.”

“I can’t believe it’s been nineteen years since I met you. I can’t believe our daughter’s seventeen and our son is fifteen already. I remember being that age before everything went downhill.”

“You know she looks like what my sister might have. I think a part of my sister lives in her, I don’t think my sister ever really left. I see her every day in our beautiful girl.”

“I can see that too, those photos of your sister look the same as the ones of our Lucy, I can barely tell the difference. She’s grown up so fast; she’s in love you know. Did you know about her and Tom?”

“No but I always thought it might happen, they deserve each other.”

“I know. He’s like a son to me. I can’t believe I’ve been in his life always. But he seems to never change always being the same. Do you think we’re too old to have another child?”

“I think maybe it is, the age gap between Lucy and a baby would be huge but I would have loved another child. At least we’ve got Liam for another couple of years before he’s off finding love."

“Lucy has grown up too fast. I think it’s time to let her do her own thing.”

“I know, love. We’ll always have each other okay? I promise you I’ll stand by you forever. Don’t worry about Lucy she’s a sensible girl, she’ll wait for the right moment, like we did.”

“Okay love,” I said sighing, “Night.”

“Night my love,” Alex said as I closed my eyes.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Four years later I watched as Lucy walked down the aisle in her beautiful white dress. Tom stood at the end waiting for her like he’s always waited for her, I smiled happily and sadly.

Behind Tom stood Liam as the best man, in his smart suit. Liam was very handsome these days and always followed by girls but he was committed to only one, Molly. They'd been going out for a year but I know he wanted something long term with her, like she wanted with him. I just hope they didn’t do anything too rash.

 Alex stood close to me holding my hand tightly, both of us were feeling the same. We wanted our daughter to be happy but are we ready to let her go just yet?

Olivia stood next to me she squeezes my hand with tears in her eyes. “I never thought we’d be family,” she whispered.

“I did, I’m just glad that they didn’t get pregnant before they married.”

“You know they did sleep together?”

“I know I’ve always been fine with it, why shouldn’t I. I still worry about her.” Over the last few years, I’d seen late at night Lucy come out of her bedroom at the beach and walk to Tom’s room. They’d spend the night together and they’d both be glowing in the morning. A few times when Olivia, Mike and Tom came to stay over ours, I’d watch them fall asleep together on the sofa. Or occasionally if Lucy fell asleep Tom would carry her to bed.

“I know sweetheart, I worry about Tom but they’re good for each other. They remind me of you and Alex.”

I looked across the room and saw my niece Anna with her boyfriend, Kale. Yes I do mean Victoria's son Kale. Anna is the same age as Liam, she is my sister's daughter. Millie got married to Jake as soon as she finished school and shortly after found out they were pregnant.

It turned out that Kale and Lucy became friends really early on but nothing ever went on between them, which I was grateful for. I guess Lucy introduced Anna to Kale and they decided to get together.

Anna has definitely calmed Kale down he use to be a player and I can understand why, he was vey attractive. It was definite that he was not Alex's, they were complete opposites.

As for Victoria and Tina well they found each other. They are very happy together.

Marcus was never let out of prison and he's never seen his daughter and  never will.

Everything was good now. We're all happy.

 We listen as Tom said his vows to Lucy. Just as Lucy was about to say hers she stopped, “Wait!” she shouted. “Mummy, come here I need you.” I saw the happy, scared tears in her eyes just like mine on the day I married. I got up from the pew and slowly walked towards her in my beautiful dress.

I stood next to her, she took my hand in hers, and it signaled to me that she will always need me. “Mum I love you and Dad but I want you here to give me strength to do this.”

“Okay sweetheart, I’ll stand beside you, if you ever need me you know where to find me. I know you love Tom as much as he loves you, you’re making the right decision to marry him today.”

“Thank you Mum, I love you.” She turned back to Tom and said her vows.

I looked to the audience and saw Alex smiling up at me and our daughter. ‘I love you’ he mouthed to me, I mouthed it back happily. I knew we’d be together forever more….

THE END