Chapter Two

I held my son, Will tightly in my arms.

William Cole McCain was born May tenth, nine months after my eighteenth birthday, September tenth. A week later after he was born he turned up on my front door step. I was so surprised.

I had just got home from the gym when I saw him lying there in his carrier chair. At first I didn't realise that it was a baby but when I saw his small little face peeking out of the blue blanket he was covered in, I knew.

I picked him up from the floor because I couldn't leave him there and took him inside. I didn't know how long he'd been out there as my parents were out as well, luckily it was a warm day.

I took him inside, I sat him down on the kitchen table and just stared at him, I didn't know who he was or where he came from.

Suddenly, he started crying, I had no idea what to do. I picked him up thinking he might just be hungry. I looked inside the bag that he came with. I find a bottle of milk inside, I gave it to the boy in my arms, he suckled it immediately. As he does so I rummaged through the bag. Inside there was a change of clothes and toys. At the bottom of the bag I saw an envelope with my name on it. I slowly opened it, inside it wrote:

Dear Harry,

The baby you have with you now is your son. His name is William Cole McCain, he was born May 10th at 2:03am.

I am unable to look after him as I am suffering from postnatal depression otherwise I would be with him. I have also just turned seventeen and too young to be a mother.

I hope to come and see him one day in the future when I'm well again. Please tell him that I love him every day.

I am sorry to land this on you but I know you'll raise our son amazingly.

See you soon

S~

After that I sat in the kitchen staring at the boy, my son. I didn't know what to do especially as my parents were about to arrive.

When they finally arrived they were shocked but they helped me out they got my baby stuff down from the loft and put it in my room. They were very supportive and said they would help anyway they could but I wanted to raise him on my own.

I pretty much have raised him on my own these past four years and my family have helped. I am truly grateful for it.

* * *

"Hey Will," I smiled squeezed him tightly. "I missed you today."

"Missed you too Daddy!" he giggled happily. "I went to the park with Grandma today."

"Did you have fun?"

"Yeah Daddy. Liam joined us too." Liam was Will's cousin, he was a few years older but they were close. "It was so much fun."

"Guess what Will?" he looked at me happily. "We get to spend all day together tomorrow."

"Yay Daddy. Can we go to the zoo?"

"Sure we can, we haven't been to the zoo on a while," I smiled at him kissing his head. The zoo is Will's favourite place, we go there at lot because it's not too far from home. "Maybe Grandma will come with us, you know her favourite animal is a giraffe."

"Yeah!" he exclaimed running off to the kitchen where Mom usually was. I followed quickly behind him.

"Hi Mom," I smiled at her. Mom was standing at the oven cooking dinner. She's looked over at me and smiled back.

"Everything good at work?" she asked hugging me.

"Yep everything is sorted for Monday. I hired everyone I needed to, so it should be good."

"I'm proud of you, you are such a responsible young man who has taken on a lot these past few years. "

"Thanks Mom. I love you."

"I love you too my little boy."

I groaned loudly, "Mom! I'm not little anymore, I'm twenty two and have a son."

"I know but you'll always be my little boy," she said hugging me tightly.

"Me too!" a little voice said from below us. I looked down and saw Will reaching out his arms for a hug. I picked him up and hugged him tightly in between Mom and myself.

* * *

After dinner Will and I watched cartoons on TV. This is tradition for us, every evening we sat down together and watched cartoons for an hour before I took Will up to bed.

"Daddy?" Will asked.

"Ummm."

"When's Mommy coming to see me?"

I hated this topic because I didn't know the answer. I didn't even know who his mother was, I wish I knew because then everything would be easy. I hope whoever she is will turn up, Will deserves a mother. At least I know she loves him, she sends cards every birthday and Christmas.

"Your Mommy's coming soon Will, she misses you too much." I really hoped this was true.

"Okay Daddy."

"Let's get you to bed, you have a long day tomorrow." I knelt down so he could climb onto my back. "Climb on!"

He quickly climbed on my back and I raced up the stairs to his bedroom. The bedroom walls were blue with his drawings all over them, also photos of us and our family covered them as well. His toys were scattered over the floor.

I hopped over the toys and through him onto the bed. I tucked him in, kissing his forehead lightly. "Goodnight Will."

"Goodnight Daddy," he whispered back closing his eyes.

* * *

Later that night while I was in bed I lay awake thinking. I wished Will's mother could be here to see what a good little man he is. I wished my sister was still alive so I could talk to her. I wished I could forget Summer Cooper so I could fall asleep but something about that girl captivated me, there was something so familiar about her.

I wished I could remember.