Chapter 18

Chapter 18

The next morning I told Mum that we were going to see Alex's parents. I told her that we would be home this evening. I rang up some people I use to know, who were nice to me. They were happy when I tell them I'm okay. We had a chat for a little while before deciding we'll have to meet up at some point soon.

We drove to Alex's old house, it looked fairly big. "Babe it's going to be okay you've got me and my family now," I said calming him down.

"Yeah I'm good," he said slowly. We got out the car and walked up the long front path. Alex reached for the doorbell his hand trembling. It rang from inside. I squeezed his hand tightly. He breathed in deeply. A boy opened the door, he looks at us. "Um are you Harry McCain?" Alex asked shakily.

"Maybe who wants to know?"

"Your brother," Alex said looking at the boy.

"I don't have a brother; Mum and Dad never told me I had a brother. What's your name anyway," he said looking at Alex.

"I'm Alex McCain and this is my girlfriend Ellie. Why don't you get Mum or Dad, I'll wait here." The boy went off. He came back a minute later with a woman in her mid thirties, her hair dark. I saw a spark in Alex's eyes. "Mum!" Alex pushed past the boy and grabbed hold of the woman. He squeezed her tightly. I looked at the boy.

"You're ten aren't you?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I am how old are you?"

"I'm eighteen your brother is twenty in eight months or so. He really missed you he told me that he looked after you a lot when he was younger; you probably don't remember you were only six."

"Mum, I want you to meet my girlfriend Ellie," Alex said pulling away from the woman. She came closer to the door where I stood with the boy.

"Alex, I'm so glad you've come back, I'm so sorry for what happened."

"It's all forgotten now Mum, I don't want to hear or speak another word of the past. I'm moving forward now. Now Mum I really want you to meet my gorgeous Ell," Alex pointed to me smiling.

Alex's mum looked at me her face looks like Alex's, I smiled at her. "I'm Ellie Reed," I said calmly, reaching out my hand to her.

"I'm Julie McCain, Alex's mum. This is my little Harry, the only one that hasn't left me yet."

"I'm sorry," I said. "I don't think Alex would have come back without me, he said he would have but I knew he wouldn't, he was scared coming here, I know exactly how he felt because I did the same yesterday."

"Would you like to come in, I'll make you some tea?" Julie asked me.

"That would be lovely," I said taking Alex's hand. Julie showed us to the kitchen we took a seat around the table. Harry sat opposite Alex.

Harry spoke up first, "Why haven't I heard about you?"

"Um because I ran away a few years ago, I guess it upset Mum she's lost everyone she's loved, you're so lucky to still be young the world is hard out there, I should know."

"Alex where did you go when you left?" his mum asked.

"I went straight to the west beach, found a place to stay been living there three years. I met Ell a year  ago, we've been together over a six months, and we're actually getting married."

"Really, that's nice; your dad will be pleased. He misses you too much; he'll be back in an hour. It'll be nice to have a daughter."

"Paul is not my dad," Alex said angrily.