Prologue

My life changed the day my brother showed up at my front door when I was ten. Within a day I found out that I had a brother, and a sister.

I remember the day perfectly. I woke up early and had my usual weekend football match. Then Dad went out to the shops to get some food for dinner. I was playing on the Wii when the front door rang.

Mom called me to answer it. When I did, a man an exact copy of Dad stood there with a pretty girl by his side. The first words out of his mouth were, "Um are you Harry McCain?"

"Maybe who wants to know?" I replied wondering who these people were.

"Your brother," he said looking at me carefully.

I was so confused I didn't have a brother."I don't have a brother; Mom and Dad never told me I had a brother. What's your name anyway?"

"I'm Alex McCain and this is my girlfriend Ellie. Why don't you get Mom or Dad, I'll wait here." I went off to get Mom she was the only person who could sort all of this out.

"Mom someone's at the door for you," I yelled up to her from this stairs. She quickly came downstairs. I followed her to find out the truth.

"Mom!" the boy shouted as he pushed past me to Mom. He squeezed her tightly. I looked at the pretty girl.

"You're ten aren't you?" she asked me.

"Yeah, I am how old are you?"

"I'm eighteen your brother is twenty in eight months or so. He really missed you he told me that he looked after you a lot when he was younger; you probably don't remember you were only six."

"Mom, I want you to meet my girlfriend Ellie," Alex said pulling away from Mom. She came closer to the door where the girl stood with me.

"Alex, I'm so glad you've come back, I'm so sorry for what happened."

"It's all forgotten now Mom, I don't want to hear or speak another word of the past. I'm moving forward now. Now Mum I really want you to meet my gorgeous Ell," Alex pointed to the girl smiling.

The girl, Ellie smiled at Mom. "I'm Ellie Reed," she said, reaching out her hand.

"I'm Julie McCain, Alex's mom. This is my little Harry, the only one that hasn't left me yet."

"I'm sorry," she said. "I don't think Alex would have come back without me, he said he would have but I knew he wouldn't, he was scared coming here, I know exactly how he felt because I did the same yesterday."

"Would you like to come in, I'll make you some tea?" Julie asked them.

"That would be lovely," Ellie said taking Alex's hand. Mom showed them to the kitchen we took a seat around the table. I sat opposite Alex.

I spoke up first, "Why haven't I heard about you?"

"Um because I ran away a few years ago, I guess it upset Mom she's lost everyone she's loved, you're so lucky to still be young the world is hard out there, I should know."

"Alex where did you go when you left?" Mom asked.

"I went straight to the west beach, found a place to stay been living there three years. I met Ell a year ago, we've been together over a six months, and we're actually getting married."

"Really, that's nice; your dad will be pleased. He misses you too much; he'll be back in an hour. It'll be nice to have a daughter."

"Paul is not my dad," Alex said angrily, this confused me. I didn't know any Paul guy.

"I know Paul's not your dad, anyway I wasn't talking about him."

"What? Who were you talking about?" Alex asked confused.

"Your dad," she said.

"But dad left eight years ago. And then you married Paul six years ago."

"Paul and I broke up about a month after you left because I blame him for your leaving."

"Well you were right to blame him, I did leave because of him, and did you ever see what he did to me. He treated me like shit," Alex said angrily. Wow my brother swore. Cool!

"Watch your language, in front of your brother, mother and girlfriend," Mom said. "I know the meanings of your words are true, I just didn't realize how badly he treated you until you left. When I told your father that you'd left, I broke down, I got depressed badly. You have no idea what it's like to lose your first love, your son."

"Mom I sorry," Alex got up and hugged her tightly, as the tears roll down both their faces. "I love you."

"I know you do, you wouldn't have come back if you didn't. You're still my big little boy. I love you too."

Ellie looked over to me; I had a slight smile on my face. "Hey Harry," she said. "Aren't you glad that you have an older brother who's been through pretty much everything and you can learn from him, he's the good guy?"

"I guess I am glad because he can teach me things about girls he must be some kind of expert cos he's got you," I said cockily.

"Don't talk to my fiancé like that otherwise I'm never telling you anything," Alex said breaking away from Mom.

"Sure bro. So are you going to tell us how you got her?" I asked sweetly.

"Fine I will," Alex said. He told us how they met and fell in love.

We all turned as we here as front door slam close. "Julie, are you home?" Dad's voice asked.

"Yeah I'm in the kitchen we have some visitors over."

Dad came into the kitchen. "Hey love," he said kissing Mom on the head, yuck. He saw Ellie first, "Hi I'm George and you are?"

"Ellie Reed," Ellie said smiling up at him. He took a seat next to Mom. Then he noticed Alex, he froze. "Um this is Alex, I guess he looks different from the last time you saw him."

"Yeah he does but he still looks like my son. How long has it been since I saw you last?"

"Over five years Dad."

"I've missed you so much," Dad said brushing his hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, I just wish that you'd come to me if you didn't want to live here anymore. You didn't need to run away."

"Yeah but my life has been happier since I went away, I got a job, I finished school, I met Ell and fell in love with her. I'm so happy. We came here today just to see Mom and Harry; I never thought you'd be here too after what happened."

"I know but when Mom told me that you'd gone, I came straight over here, she cried on my shoulder then I realized that I still loved her, I moved in a couple of months later. We've waited to get married again for you to come back."

"I'm just glad you're back together."

"George why don't you take the boys outside so I can have a little chat with Ellie, I'm sure she's got many stories about our son," Mom said.

"Sure love, see you later," Dad said taking me outside into the garden. We kicked the football to each other. "So you know about Alex now. How do you feel?"

"Good Dad. A little shocked at first but its good."

A few minutes later Alex joined us. It was a lot of fun.

However it got a little awkward when I found my brother shirtless on top of Ellie. It's not something a ten year old wants to see.

Not long after that I found out that I had a sister but she died when I was just two. I always had my suspicions about the two closed rooms down the hall from mine but I never actually went in either.

The death of my sister didn't affect me much at the time but as I got older it affected me more. My brother got so much time with her but I didn't have any. I didn't remember her. That was the one thing I was angry about. My family remembered her but I didn't.

So I started acting out. I wanted to live my life to the fullest for the sister I never remembered. I did this for her.

My life change once again when I was eighteen. I got home one day after the gym and there sat the bundle that would change everything.