First Day

My dad had left me at the little airport in Melbourne before jetting off to Sydney to take care of whatever his job required. My mom came to pick me up, looking stunning for a 40-something year old. After all, she was a model when she was younger. I look just like her when she was my age, with my emerald green eyes, extremely pale skin and silky brown hair. 

"Vienna, darling! It's so nice to see again after all this time! You have no idea how much I've missed you!" She opens her arms for me to hug her and I do just that. 

"You too, mom." I reply stifly. I haven't seen her since last christmas and it was now August. During that time span, she had managed to get married and buy a big house in a little town right beside the beach. I had seen pictures and had gone to the wedding in January where I was a bridesmaid but I barely saw her then so I don't count that. 

"I have been so excited for you to come. Vince and I enrolled you in the school nearby and you're going to have your own bedroom. It's going to be so much fun!" She tells me happily as she shoves my luggage into the back of her black SUV. We made the hour and a half ride to Langley where the beautiful turquoise water stretched out as far as the eye could see and the golden beaches were occupied with teenagers surfing and tanning. 

We turn into the long driveway of the house that was easily the biggest on the street and slip past the gates with metal lion heads on it. My dad had really nice houses, but this was my dream house. It was a little smaller than what I was used to but the Spanish-styled house was stunning. No wonder my mom loved this place so much, great minds think alike. The big fountain in the middle of a grass circle on the drive way was sprouting out water into the bassin and the drive way circled around it. An old lady comes bustling out of the house, followed by a younger and very muscular man. The attend to the bags and the car while my mom and I slip into the house.

My bedroom was the best part. I had the entire basement to myself. An entire section was cut off to be my closet and the rest was a plush resting and entertainment area, with my bed neatly tucked away in another section. It was a walk-out basement so I had patio doors that opened right onto the beach and on that patio there were lounge chairs, a table, a fireplace and a gazebo a little further away. The entertainment system was at the top of it's class and with just one touch-pad that was inserted the wall, I could get music to travel throught the entire floor, including the bathroom that had a very nice jacuzzi and fish tank. The entire place was fun yet classy. 

Even though I liked it very much, I couldn't help but feel a little scared at the idea of settling down. I always travel with my dad so I didn't really have a bedroom that I stayed in all year round. My time was usually split in between penthouses in big cities, giant houses in the country-side and hotel rooms. I have grown accustomed to it and I don't know how much I'll like not moving around all the time. I exit out the patio and run up to the water, kicking off my pink canvas TOMS and dipping my feet in the water. 

"You  must be the MacDonald's new kid." A girl my age comes up to me in her swimsuit. 

"Yes." I reply wearily turning towards her.

"I'm Abigail." She smiles politely and I nod, studying her. "Well, do you have a name?"

"Vienna Cowell."

"Like Simon Cowell?"

"That's my dad." I tell her, stepping out of the water and getting the grains of sand stuck to my feet.

"Right, well are you coming to Langley High this semester?" 

"Yeah, I think so. What about you?"

"Yes. I guess I'll be seeing you around." 

"Maybe." I smile as in saying goodbye and leave for the house. I completely forgot about school starting next week. I was already nervous.