Chapter 15: ...and Ice

This is more of a filler for what comes soon.

In the Great Hall after dinner, everyone went silent as Professor Dumbledore stood up. I wondered what he would say. My questions were answered when he spoke.

In his deep voice, Dumbledore began, “So! Now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention, it is also my painful duty to inform you that the inter-house Quidditch Cup will not take place this year. This is due to an event that will be starting later this month of October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teacher's time and energy- but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. We are to have the honor of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event which has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year.
I am not joking Mr. Weasley, though, while you mention it, I did hear an excellent one over the summer about a troll, a hag and a leprechaun who all go into a bar.....er.....but maybe this is not the time.....no.....where was I? Ah yes, the Triwizard Tournament.....well, some of you will not know what this Tournament involves, so I hope those who do know will forgive me for giving a short explanation, and allow their attention to wonder freely.
The Triwizard Tournament was first established some seven hundred years, as a friendly competition between the three largest European schools of wizardry- Hogwarts, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. A champion was selected to represent each school, and the three champions competed in three magical tasks. The school took it in turns to host the Tournament once every five years, and it was generally agreed to be a most excellent way of establishing ties between young witches and wizards of different nationalities- until, that is, the death toll mounted so high that the Tournament was discontinued. There have been several attempts over the centuries to re-instate the Tournament, none of which have been very successful. However, our own Departments of Magical Co-operation and Magical Games and Sports have decided the time is ripe for another attempt. We have worked hard over the summer to ensure that, this time, no champion will find himself or herself in mortal danger.
The Heads of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving with their short-listed contenders in a few days, and the selection of the three champions will take place on Halloween. An impartial judge will decide which students are most worthy to compete for the Triwizard Cup, the glory of their school, and a thousand Galleons personal prize money.
Eager though I know all of you will be to bring the Triwizard Cup to Hogwarts, the Heads of the participating schools, along with the Ministry of Magic, have agreed to impose an age restriction on the contenders this year. Only students who are of age-that is to say, seventeen years or older-will be allowed to put forward their names for consideration.”

Of course this started a riot, especially from the Weasley twins. I was interested in it myself, but I guess I can just watch. Dumbledore soon had the room back in silence.

He began where he left off, “This is a measure we feel is necessary, given that the Tournament tasks will still be difficult and dangerous, whatever precautions we take, and it is highly unlikely that students below sixth and seventh year will be able to cope with them. I will personally be ensuring that no underage student hoodwinks our impartial judge into making them Hogwarts Champion. I therefore beg you not to waste your time submitting yourself if you are under seventeen.
The delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving in a few days, and remaining with us for the greater part of this year. I know that you will all extend every courtesy to our foreign guests while they are with us, and will give your whole-hearted support to the Hogwarts champion when he or she is selected. And now, it is late, and I know how important it is to you all to be alert and rested as you enter your lessons tomorrow morning. Bedtime! Chop, chop!”

We all left the Great Hall excited. This was going to be incredible!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“So the Triwizard tournament sounds pretty cool,” Draco said. We were lying in the bed just talking. We have been talking since the dream, or whatever this is called, started.

“Yeah, I kind of wish I was old enough,” I agreed.

Draco flipped over, his hands and knees on either side of me, and stared into my eyes when he heard this. His eyes had so many emotions flashing through them that I didn’t know what to do. At last it settled onto one, anger.

Draco spoke through clenched teeth, “Even if you were old enough, I would never let you risk your life for a game like this. You heard the old man. It had too many deaths in previous years.”

I was taken aback. What is his problem? “Draco?” I whispered.

His stormy eyes softened into soft grey orbs at my voice. “I’m sorry love, but it’s so hard to picture you fighting for your life. Claire, you could die. I don’t know what I would do if you were dead,” Draco’s voice cracked at the end.

“Oh, Draco! Don’t you worry about me in the tournament, because it was only a dream. I could never be brave enough to actually enter,” I cried out. Draco let out a breath of relief before he crashed his lips down onto mine.

“So how about that date?” Draco questioned when he departed.

I quickly came up with an answer. “Next Hogsmeade trip we could go to Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop.”

“That sounds splendid,” Draco said excitedly. Where did this new Draco Malfoy come from? He was absolutely perfect and hoped he would stay forever.