Chapter 25: Together as One

Can you see the pic on the side? I don't know if it showed up or not...

I screamed as I looked into the mirror. It was the first time I looked in the mirror since the shrieking shack. This wasn’t what I expected to see.

My trembling hands came up to my cheek and hovered over my prominent cheek bones. Before, they were round and a bit squishy. Now they were narrow, making me look several years older. Then my fingers moved to my thin nose structure. My button nose was long gone. My lips were plump with a little cupid’s bow at the top. The faint scar on my chin had disappeared along with all my beauty marks and old pimples. My flawless light olive toned skin glowed with radiance. My chocolate brown hair, now stick straight, shined like it has never done before. Then there were my eyes. They weren’t just brown anymore. Flecks of silver spotted throughout the brown. They were beautiful; I was beautiful, but it wasn’t me. The old me was adorable and petite. Now I was taller and thin like a model. I used to be cute, now I was elegant.

How could I change like this? What happened to me?

The door burst open to a frightened Draco. “Claire! I heard you scream. Are you ok?”

I looked back at him with tears in my eyes and shook my head. He scooped me up in one fluid motion and I breathed in deeply into his chest, keeping the tears at bay, as he took me over to my cot. He gently placed me down, getting in the bed with me. I curled into him but it felt different. My body fit his perfectly. I never noticed before but now I could tell. We were like puzzle pieces. We filled each other’s spaces in between.

This gave me the sense of fulfillment. Maybe it was supposed to happen like this so we could really be together as one.

Together as one…

“Draco?” I whispered. My voice had even changed. It had more melodic qualities to it.

He moved his face down towards mine. “Hmm?” It sounded like he was very tired.

I sighed before saying, “I think I’m ready now.”

“Ready for what, love?” Draco asked with a husky voice. I could tell he wanted to sleep. Maybe this would wake him up. I trailed my hand from his chest slowly down wards. Just as I got to his hips his hand captured mine. I looked up to see him looking down at me curiously. “Claire you know what you are implying right?” I nodded my head. “Well fine, but not now.”

I raised a brow. Oh my god! I could do that now! I didn’t let the excitement show on my face though. “Why not?” My voice didn’t sound whiny like it would have before. It now sounded pleasing like it could his mind.

“We are on a hospital bed,” He said blatantly.

I fluttered my eyelashes. “We can go somewhere else. The Room of Requirement maybe?”

Draco’s eyebrows came together as he regarded me. “Claire, what has gotten into you? I thought we were going to wait. You wanted it like that. So why now has it changed?”

I turned my head away from him. My eyes filled with tears as I spoke. “I almost died. It could happen again soon. You never know what could happen. We could die tomorrow or the day after that or a week after that. You don’t know when you’re not going to see the person you love ever again. That’s why I want to live my life to the fullest from now on. I don’t want any restraints. Do you understand Draco?”

He was silent for a while. I came to the conclusion that he wasn’t going to answer until he said, “Claire you did die. I understand what you are saying but what’s different is that you did die. I had to go through the worst pain possible. I watched you die in my arms. My heart was shattered. I wanted to die. But I knew I had to live on. I had to live for you. I would never be the same without you but I would live for you. Even with that burden, I was going to live for you. Those thoughts went through my head before you came back to me. I didn’t know what to do when you came back to life. It was like my heart was breaking all over again. I watched you change from my beautiful Claire to a wolf. A wolf! You ran away into the woods and I thought you were gone forever again. My heart was breaking all over again. I knew you were never going to be the same. But the thing is Claire, even if you were a wolf or a vampire or a troll I would love you. As long as you were alive I would always love you. So you can’t tell me how to live life because I know for a fact that my life is in your hands. Wherever you go, I will follow. I follow you until my limbs grow weak and even then I will crawl on my hands and knees. Claire Cresswell you are my life, my heart, my soul. You are my everything. That is why I want to wait. I know deep down you do too. I know you are afraid, but that is fine with me. Honestly I have never felt this way before. Never have I had so much emotion for anyone or anything. This scares me but at the same time I am exhilarated by all these emotions. What I’m trying to say Claire is that no matter what I love you. Just as long as we are together everything will be perfect. We may be apart in the future but just remember we will always find each other in the end. Together for eternity, you and me.”

I didn’t know how to respond. What was I supposed to say? I wasn’t the best at words. I was better at actions. So I used my actions instead of words.

I slowly placed my hand on his cheek and looked into his eyes as I got closer and closer. My lips brushed his as light as a dove’s feather. A single tear rolled down my cheek and moistened my lips. I rested my lips on his for several minutes. I didn’t deepen the kiss and neither did he. It was perfect this way.

I spoke on his lips. “I turned into a wolf?”

I felt Draco’s lips curve upward into a small smile. “It scared me to death.”

“Tell me about it,” I told him.