Chapter 2: Letter Opener

The letter came the last day of fourth grade. That letter changed my life, forever.

I was running back home from school again. I have gotten faster since everyday of running since third grade. The bullies were too far to throw rocks, so they screamed out names. It didn’t hurt, not at all. Criticism has never bothered me. “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” I repeated to myself.

Before I turned onto my road, I glanced over at the ‘bad’ side of town. I have looked down that way every day since my encounter with the boy, Draco Malfoy. I just figured it was some kind of sick joke, but deep down I knew it wasn’t. I dreamed about him, dreamed if we could have been friends. But in the end, the dream turned into a nightmare. It was never the same dream or nightmare, but they all had the same moral. I was an atrocity.

I was at my mailbox by now. I grabbed the mail and was inside in a flash. When I had shut and locked the door behind me, I ruffled through the bills. I was going so fast I almost missed the letter addressed to me. I smiled, hoping it was from my father.

My father was a world traveler, and we haven’t seen him since three years ago. Mum had to work long hours to keep our life going. Dad hasn’t sent any money to us, except post cards of where he has been. Mum always stormed off into her room after seeing the disappointing news. It was always:

Dear Daughter,

I am in ___________! I miss you and your mother. I will see you soon!

Dad

I kept all of the post cards and hung them on my wall, waiting to show Dad I have been missing him, too.

Except this wasn’t a post card, and it wasn’t from Dad. My smile vanished. It was a letter from France. I ripped open the envelope and read the blue papered letter. I couldn’t believe my eyes! The letter read:

Dear C. Cresswell,

You have been accepted to the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic. Regrettably to say, the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic is inMarseilles, France. It will be an elongated flight for you and it entails that you will have to depart from your home earlier than other students, by means of my own regularities. If you wish to comply, please send a letter of your requirements. Below is a list of your necessities for the school year. Please write almost immediately if possible.

Thank you,

Madam Maxime, Headmistress of Beauxbatons Academy of Magic

By the name of the headmistress was a coat of arms.

It had two crossed golden wands on a powder-blue field, each emitting three stars. It was so beautiful. I had to rub my fingers over to make sure it was real.

I read down to the list. I saw very odd requirements and supplies. It stated:

UNIFORM: First-year students will require: 1.Three sets of plain pale blue robes 2.One plain pale blue pointed hat for day wear 3.One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar) Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags.

COURSE BOOKS: All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot, Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling, A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch, One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore, Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander, The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT: 1 wand, 1 cauldron (silver, standard size 2), 1 set glass or crystal phials, 1 telescope, 1 set brass scales. Students may also bring and owl OR a cat OR a small sized Magical creature (If questions are concerned about what type of animal, please state in your submit letter.)

“I bet Draco didn’t get one of these letters,” I said to myself. I smiled and ran upstairs to my room and waited for Mum to come home.

so i'll try to upload soon, but i'm on vacay...so it might not be a while :( sorry

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT