Chapter 23: Senses

I was too stunned to say anything. Drinian sure had a lot to say though. I tuned him out so I could at least come up with something to say. Maybe, “Hey part vampire, part werewolf, part wizard father. Yeah I’m not going to take up your offer of turning me into something like you. So like, rot in hell?” No way could I say that.

Although what I said might have been worse. My smart mouth dropped open and let out another gasp, “What?”

He put his hand on his head as if he was dealing with an imprudent child. “What don’t you understand? I am going to turn you into a hybrid. I bet your going to ask why, aren’t you?” I nodded my head, not trusting my voice. He groaned and shook his head. “Of course you want to know. It should be pretty obvious. You are my child, which means that you have vampire and wizard blood in your system. All I have to do is activate your genes and insert my werewolf blood into your system. It may or may not be painless. I can’t say because this has never been done before, but we’ll see. I hope you transition before I die,” He grinned manically. He was mad! He needed to be sent to the insane asylum!

Drinian pulled out his wand and sent a hex at my father, but he easily deflected it. “You could kill your own daughter just for some…experiment,” Drinian spat. “How dare you come and try to take her away after so many years of abandonment? You will be six-feet-under before you lay a hand on Claire!” Drinian sent spell after spell at my father, but none hit him. My father kept deflecting them until he grew tired and sent a curse at Drinian. Soon Drinian was out cold.

I screamed as I fell to my knees beside my friend. I checked his pulse to see if he was still alive. Sighing in relief that Drinian was still alive, I got up on my feet and glared at the man that calls himself my father. I looked at him with pure loathing and disgust. He let out a deep growl that was inhuman. In seconds he was transformed back into a wolf. The wolf bared its teeth at me, still growling. I sucked in a deep breath as it leapt towards me.

A screech sounded throughout the room. I looked up to see Haze soaring at the beast, his wings ablaze with black and gold fire. My eyes widened in awe at the sight. Haze sunk his talons into fur, grabbing at the wolf’s skin. The wolf let out a yelp of pain as it bucked Haze off of its back. He was unfazed as he let go of the wolf’s fur. My father snapped its jaws at my phoenix. No way in hell will it touch Haze.

I pulled out my wand and sent spell after spell at the wolf, but none of them harmed him. Well magic was out of the equation. What could I do?

I looked back at Drinian on the wooden floor when a thought popped in my head.

Wood!

I flicked my want at a loose floor board. It floated in the air before I crashed it into my father’s body. The wolf let out another yelp but that caused it to turn on me. I watched as it crept towards me, snarling. I threw another board at the beast but it butted the wood with its large head. Haze swooped in for another attack. He clawed at its fur, but it didn’t stop the wolf from advancing on me. I stared into the beast’s eyes, terrified for my life. His coal black eyes turned red as it opened its jaws in front of my face. I was faced with the fact that I was going to die. My last thought before my father clamped his jaws on my neck was Draco.

~*~

The pain was unbearable. Every inch of my body was consumed with flames. I felt every single bone break at the same time, over and over again. How was that even possible? I wanted to scream out, but I was unable. I was incapable of moving. I couldn’t use any of my senses. I couldn’t even feel my body. All I could feel was the pain, the unending, excruciating pain. I was just there, washed in darkness, feeling pain. I wished for my life to just end.

*~*

I don’t know how long the pain lasted and I didn’t know when the pain ended. All I cared about was opening my eyes, but my body was weighted down with an invisible force. But I could finally hear. At first it was just an incessant buzz but then I could hear muffled voices. My hearing grew until I heard the voices clearly.

“Still no progress,” A voice whispered. I couldn’t place the voice but I could tell it was an older woman.

Another voice that sounded closer to my ear than the woman’s said, “Thanks Madam Pomfrey.” The voice was masculine, but I could tell it was the voice of a boy my age. My head was too fuzzy to recall whose voice it was, but I knew it was familiar.

The sound of heels hitting stone floor filled my ears. It was so loud that I wished I could cover my ears. It soon faded away and ended with a close of a door.

It was then that I started to smell again. It was like invisible nose plugs were pulled out of my nostrils. Scents bombarded my thoughts. I breathed in the air to smell flowers. It smelled so wonderful that I breathed deeply in.

I heard a gasp. By making that noise I breathed in the scent of mint…peppermint, my favorite. I wanted to move my head to breath it more in but I was still incapable of moving.

“Claire if you can hear me show me a sign, please. Move something at least,” The boy pleaded. I could tell there was delight and unease in his voice. I wanted to move just so he would keep talking. His voice was like music. I could listen to it forever.

Realizing that I could breathe, I could also move my nose, so I started breathing heavily. Would that get my message across?

I heard him sigh, “Claire, open your eyes for me. I want to see those beautiful brown eyes.”

I felt my heart race from his words. That was when my sense of touch came back. I could feel everything.

I felt his breath caress my face. I felt his hands envelop mine. I felt the warm covers that lay across my body. I felt the blood rush to my cheeks when he complemented my eyes. All these feeling so wonderful. I felt no pain.

“All you have to do is open your eyes. I love you. Just open…” He trailed off when he saw my eyes flutter open at the word love. My vision was blurry for a moment then it cleared to show a grinning Draco Malfoy.

My taste came back when he kissed me. Who knew that he could fill every single sense of mine?