Chapter 5: Never Tell Trouble

“Claire, tell me again, why do you have to go to the train station, this year?” My mother asked. I never told her that I was kicked out of the academy so I made up a random excuse.

“It’s faster on a train, I guess, and a muggle saw one of the winged horses last time. I won’t be alone, Mum. Chloe and Drinian will be there,” I lied to her. I felt so bad at lying to my mother, but it felt worse to tell the truth. I was a world class liar, anyways. If that makes anything better.

“Chloe,” she grumbled. Mum didn’t like Chloe at all. She thought Chloe was an abomination, while Chloe thought my mum was a psychopath. Mum liked Drinian, mostly because he was born in London and raised all over the world. She also liked his dark brown, soft hair.

I smiled at my memories.

Mum must have seen my smile. She asked, “Why are you so happy today. Oh, wait let me answer that. You think you can get away without telling me one precise detail about school. You lied to me this whole summer, Claire Eliza Cresswell.”

Bloody hell, she knows. Oh no she knows!

“How did you find out?” I asked sadly.

“I found it out by Drinian, of course!” That little git! I’m going to hex that boy. “Why didn’t you tell me you were transferring to Hogwarts, since you’re brighter than the other pupils at Beauxbatons? I am so proud of you!” If we weren’t in a compact car, I knew she would squish me in one of her hugs.

I found Drinian and his parents facing platform nine and three quarters. I called out for him as Chloe called out my name from behind. They both raced to me and gave each other group hugs.

“I missed you guys so much, even though we saw each other last week in Diagon Ally,” Chloe was making such a scene that some kids pointed at her and laughed, while their mother were swatting them on the head.

“Chloe, you should calm down, so we can get to the train,” Drinian spoke calmly, like always. Chloe nodded her head and went to get the cart with her trunk. Drinian’s father helped her, because her family was back in America. Drinian’s mother showed us how to cross the barrier from one side to the other. Drinian went first at a brisk walk. Chloe went next at a full on run. I was about to run in, but my mother stopped me before I could even pick up my foot. She caught me in a huge embrace that nearly cracked all my ribs.

“Claire, I am so proud of you! Remember that,” she whispered in my ear. I felt so sick. How could I leave without telling her the truth? How can I be such a horrible daughter? Mr.

Pensile must have seen my face so he made his way towards us.

“Ms. Cresswell, she will be in good hands, I promise. Headmaster Dumbledore and I are quite close. I will make sure not one thing happens to them,” he reassured her. Now I knew exactly where Drinian got his personality from.

Mr. Pensile swept us across the barrier in one large step. I let out a sigh of relief. Then I looked up at him questionably.

“Yes, I know about your little adventures. Just don’t let it happen at Hogwarts,” he smiled, but it was full of meaning. I liked this man.

That was when I saw the gleaming red train. It was so beautiful that I didn’t even know I wasn’t breathing. I let in a breath and walked to where Chloe and Drinian were standing. Mrs. Pensile came across with my cart and Haze.  Chloe’s eyes were wide as she took in all the other Hogwarts students. Drinian was pulling her towards the train, trying not to make a spectacle. I laughed as I walked behind them.

I stopped laughing, my eyes going wide, and stood in place. I saw whitish blonde hair in the crowd. His back was towards me, but he stiffened as if he felt someone watching him. Before he got the chance to turn, I was in the train in a flash, hiding behind my long brunet wavy hair. My friends saw me rush off. They stopped fooling around and hurried after me.

“Darlin’ what’s wrong?” Chloe asked as we found an empty compartment at the back of the train.

“I saw someone I once knew,” I spoke nonchalantly, even though I was screaming inside. I put my luggage on the rack above and put Haze’s cage on the seat next to me. “It isn’t as big of a deal as I made it.”

“Bullshit, Claire. Remember, I know people auras. Your aura is changing so fast right now, that I can’t even tell which color is radiating off you,” she yelled at me. Damn, Chloe and her werewolf qualities. “Now your aura is steady on forest green.”

“What does forest green mean?” Drinian asked.

Chloe sighed as if we should know, “Mixed emotions, duh!”Drinian and I smiled at each other. We both knew Chloe and her crazy personality. “So who exactly did you see?”

“I saw a boy that lives in the same town as me. I met him only once, though.” I looked down at my swinging legs.

“This boy must have been pretty hot. You running and hiding away and all,” Chloe snickered.

I gasped, “I do not fancy a boy who had called me a filthy scum!”

“What!?” Both Drinian and Chloe growled. Chloe’s was more animalistic than Drinian’s.

“Please, I just want to leave the situation alone,” I mumbled to them. I was embarrassed that I told them that.

“Claire, are you mad? I will refuse…” Chloe was yelling, but Drinian stopped her by putting his hand on her shoulder.

“Fine, Claire. I will leave it alone, but if I find out who it is, I will tear his body up. Limb by boney limb. Got that?” Chloe snarled in a low voice.

I nodded my head and excused myself from the compartment. I needed to find Draco Malfoy.