Chapter 20

Chapter 20

It was two days before my birthday and I hadn't been mind controlled since I was in the forest with Kendall. Kendall backed off about the situation. I was thankful for that. I knew that Henry was responsible. I just wanted Kendall to believe that too. Kendall and I were at his house again. We were suppose to stay away from the decorating.  We watched an old episode of Gossip Girl. I laid my head on his shoulder and he pulled me close.

"So, this is a book series too?"

"Yes. Do you want to read them?" I asked.

"I would. I really like Gossip Girl." He replied.

"Me too." I smiled. Kendall rose to his feet and went upstairs. I stayed seated. The same thing that happened in the woulds, happened again. The light grew dark and the room seemed extremely silent. The sound of an explosion filled my ears. I jumped off the couch. The room disappeared and the skyscraper stood in front of me. The one that exploded. Neal was the one that caused it, not Conner Morgenson. Flames emerged from the sides. I gasped and stumbled backwards. I heard another explosion and a heart-shattering scream. My breathing got heavier and my heart started racing. I felt a hand move around my waist. Everything disappeared and the room returned to normal. I glanced over my shoulder. Kendall was right behind me.

"What did I miss?" He asked. I didn't want to give him another reason to think that I was losing it. 

"Nothing." I lied. He pulled me closer and I silently hoped that he didn't feel my heart racing.

"Are you okay?" His eyes scanned my face.

"Yes, I'm fine." I lied again. He seemed to pick up on something.

"Your heart is beating out of your chest. What's wrong, Viv?" He stared at me.

"Kendall, why would there be something wrong?" 

"Because there is. I can tell." He replied.

I sighed. "I'm might have saw something again."

"We'll worry about that after your birthday. It could be stress." He mused. I shrugged, satisfied not talk about it, and we went back to watching Gossip Girl.

The next day was yet another day where Kendall and I had to stay out of the house, especially since tomorrow was my birthday. Diego and Ryan joined us this time. They walked around Kendall's living room. 

"Vee, you should practice your mind control." Ryan suggested.

"I already practice it a lot, but okay." I replied.

"I'd like to see you use it." Diego chimed in. I nodded and pictured the couch floating in the air. Diego and Ryan nodded. I did the same with the TV and the coffee table. I turned th them for a response. They didn't say anything.

"Kendall, how do you plan to keep Vee safe from the fight." Ryan clearly still didn't agree with Kendall on me not defending myself.

"I won't leave her side." He responded. He stood next to Ryan. Ryan was slightly shorter.

"And you're sure this will work?"

"I don't know." Kendall sighed. He turned to me. "But I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

"You can't control that." Diego pushed in.

Kendall sucked in a breath. "I'll do what ever it takes to control it."

The following day, I walked downstairs to find my mom making chocolate chip pancakes. Landon was at the table. He smiled at me.

"Happy birthday, Vivvy."

"Thank you." We hugged. Kendall and Vincent entered the house. Kendall kissed me and wished me a happy birthday. Vincent said happy birthday too. I thanked them. My mom set pancakes in front of me. Vincent pulled something out of his pocket.

"This is for you." I opened it and found a Gossip Girl novel. The cover title was You're the one I want.  "I noticed you didn't have this one." 

"Thank you so much." I hugged him. He put an arm around me.

"I like to make you happy." He whispered. "I know I wasn't fair to you in the last five months."

"I wasn't exactly nice to you either."

"Happy birthday, brown eyes."

Hours later, my dad came over with his family-to-be. Skylar stayed as far away from me as she could. Valerie gave me a big hug. They presented me with a gift. It was a heart neckless with a pink center. I told them I'd where it tonight. I still had to wear the mask Henry and Neal gave me. I trudged upstairs to change into a silver dress with black flats. When I stepped into the hall, Kendall was waiting for me. He wore a suit with a blue tie that matched his eyes.

"You look great." I complimented him.

"So do you." He kissed me. We walked downstairs. My dad, my mom, Vincent, Landon, Valerie, and Skylar were scattered around the living room. They were also dressed up.

"Where are we going?" I asked. Smiles appeared on everyone's face, minus Skylar.

"You'll have to see." Kendall took my hand and we went to the cars. A little bit later, My mom told me to close my eyes. Kendall led me out of the car. We walked forward and I heard a door open. 

"Surprise!" I opened my eyes and saw a large group of people around me. Most of them were from my school. Diana, Janice, and Mark Timsdale were in the front.

"Thank you so much." I grinned. My mom handed me my mask. I slipped it on. Diana ran up to hug me.

"Happy birthday, Vivian." She beamed.

"Thank you." I pulled back. She drifted through the crowd. I felt a tap on my shoulder. Kingsley smiled at me. Behind her, I saw Claudia, Ryan, Diego, and Leon. They waved. I waved back.

"Are you happy to be 17?" Kingsley asked.

"Very." I replied. Kendall appeared by my side. He wore a gold mask. He kissed my cheek. Everything was going well and then the unexpected happened. The lights went out.