Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Many days later,  I was walking in the forest behind my house. My mind wandered to my birthday.  At first, I couldn't wait to be 17, now I was dreading the day. Henry and Neal were definitely going to wreck it. We had to end this. Something stirred in the leaves behind me. I spun around to see what it was. A figure stood in front of me.  Their body was covered with shadows, so I couldn't see who it was. I started to turn for my house, but something stopped me. The forest darkened and grew quiet. Kendall appeared in front of me. His face was blank He watched me.

"Kendall." I called. He didn't answer me. I studied him. "Kendall."  He still didn't answer me. He didn't move.  I wanted to go to him, but my legs didn't move. They felt stuck.

"Kendall!" I shouted. "Answer me." Silence.

"Viv." I felt a hand on my shoulder. Kendall stood by me. I moved my feet. They were no longer stuck. My face crumpled when I realized how I must have looked. 

"I saw you when you weren't here and I called your name, but you didn't answer. I kept calling you, but it was like there was a glass wall between us." Kendall studied my face. He ran at vampire speed around the forest. He finally stopped and gave a worried look.

"Viv, you've been through a lot lately and-"

"I'm not seeing things." I insisted. "I actually saw something. Henry must be here."

"I checked the forest, he's not here." He hugged me, but I shrugged him off.

"I know I saw something, Kendall." I protested.

His face became tormented. He really thought I was seeing things. "Kendall, please."

"Viv, let's talk about this later." 

"Kendall, I'm not-" He cut me off.

"Vivian, I don't want to talk about it." His voice was stern.

"I'm not losing it." I stated.

"You've been through a lot." He said.

"So have you."

"I didn't go through what you did." Kendall pointed out.

"You kind of did."

"Viv, I just want you to be okay." He took my hand.

"I'm not seeing things." I tried again.

"Let's go inside." He said and we walked out of the forest. I had to prove Henry was out there.