Conflict of Interest

The next couple years went by, we were settling into a new routine with my new job. I really loved it. Seth seemed to be happy with it as well. I was still home by a decent hour with our kids as Seth did work late as he was working tireless on a new show and trying to get the ball rolling on it. Even tho he worked a lot, when he was home, he showed us the loved we needed. He definitely was trying as I appreciated it. We did see each other from time to time in meetings and he would get very flirtatious. I wasn't always happy about it as it was business we were trying to discuss. But now his new show was picked up by FOX and we saw each other more during the meetings with the network. This was going to be one I knew he wouldn't be happy about. They made sure I was there with Seth, they felt I knew how to talk to him since I was married to him. They felt I could get through to him. But I hated it at this moment. I knew he would come in here and give me flirty smiles, not knowing what would be said. Seth finally walked in with a couple people from his new show, The Orville. Sure enough, he smiled at me. I shifted as I knew this wouldn't be pleasant. They sat down and we got into it. Quickly the man next to me, Marshall, said, "Thank you for coming. We are here today cause we would like to discuss the future of your show, The Orville. Now we called this meeting cause well we do have a few pressing concerns."

"What would that be?" Seth asked.

Marshall looked at me and I took over. "In the past, your shows have been known to cause some controversy and problems with the network."

Seth almost chuckled. "Yeah, and? I mean, our show, Family Guy, has been one, and it will be the sixteenth season coming up? So, I don't see the big deal."

"The big deal is that it has caused problems with the network, lawsuits and what not. Now, the network wants to make sure with The Orville, we have no problems as such. The network has purposed a plan so no such thing will happen." I told him.

Seth looked at me, very unhappy. I knew he knew where this was going. "And what plan is that?"

"That the network gets to see over all scripts and approve of what contain is in the script." I told him.

"This is bullshit!" Seth got angry. "I have made this network money and you want to tell me what I can have on it."

"As they appreciate it but as we said, there has been issues in the past with your previous shows. The network wants to take precautions to make sure this will be avoided." I said to him.

He looked at me. "But for you to tell me what I can and cannot put on my show, this is my show. I have worked very hard on this. This show, right here, is what I have built up to."

Then Marshall spoke. "We understand that, Seth. And we trust you will do right by it. But this is only precautionary for the network. We cannot have anymore problems as we have in the past with Family Guy. People already think we let you run wild here, doing what you want. If you take this very seriously, Seth, you will understand why we have to do this and am sure there will be no problems if you do."

Seth looked at the people in front of him, including me, angrily and without another word, stood up. "This isn't right." Then he focused on me. "And you know this." He bent over and put his hands on the table. "You know what this show means to me, Mary."

I looked away as I did. But I was only doing my job. He had to see that. I had to remain professional even if he wasn't. But it was hard, I had to admit. I looked back at Seth as he looked even more angry as he saw I wasn't going to stick up for him. He stood up and walked away. He walked out the door and slammed it behind him, which caused me to jump a bit.