Batgirl: Break the code (part sixty-four)

Part sixty-four: Miracles

Wayne Tower, Rooftop

"Thank you for all your help." Batgirl smiled.

She stood on top of Wayne Tower with Black Blade, Poison Rose, and Ice.

"Hey, you helped us too. It's only fair, I guess." Black shrugged.

Batgirl chuckled, folding her hands over her chest as she look at the three girls that just happened to be her best friends in school.

"So, where's your little Robin? It's pretty rare seeing you without him nowadays." Rose smirked.

|Definitely my best friends.|

"He's out helping Nightwing back at Bludhaven." Batgirl answered.

They all went to the edge of the buidling and sat there, feet dangling as they look up at the moon.

"You two remind us of this couple at school." Ice said.

"Couple?" Batgirl asked, confused.

"Yeah," Rose giggled. "Damian and Kara are just so sweet, you know? They're so oblivious and innocent."

|Excuse me, what!?|

"Who knows, maybe they're not meant to be." Batgirl shrugged.

Though it felt like a pang to her chest, she still managed to say it without her voice breaking.

"But we know they are. They zing!" Black exclaimed.

"What is it with you and Hotel Transylvania?" Batgirl asked.

"But it's true! I'm telling you, Batgirl!" Black giggled.

"From now on, we dedicate ourselves and get them together in any way possible." Rose smiled.

|Yeah, like that would happen.|

"The night's still young. Why don't we have a little girls night?" Batgirl asked.

She stood up, stretching her arms up as she look down the building with a smirk on her face. The three smiled at each other and nodded, diving the down the building at the same time.

"Hey, wait for me!" Batgirl yelled.

|Might as well enjoy the little time I have before this world crumbles.|

Back in Bludhaven, Nightwing and Robin just finished sending Blockbuster to Arkham when they decided to retreat to Nightwing's apartment and call it a night.

"Grayson, what happens when you have a metal spine?" Robin asked.

He sat on Dick's office chair, balancing a batarang on one finger. Dick pulled a shirt on and dusted his black sweatpants.

"I don't really know, ask Kara." He said.

"Why would I--"

Damian stopped himself, realizing that Kara's spine is actually made of metal. He still doesn't know the story of the metal spine, but now that Dick put it in his mind, he can't help but feel curious about it. Instead of asking his original question, he decided to rephrase it instead.

"How do you think she got that?" He asked.

Dick sat on his bed, across from Damian. He looked at his younger brother and smiled sadly.

"Babs told me about it," he said. "And it's not pleasant to hear."

"I'm all ears," Damian said.

He folded his arms over his chest, ready for anything Dick has to tell him.

"Okay, then," Dick sighed. "Kara got her metal spine when she was eight years old. She was an unknown vigilantè by the alias of Shadow. When she was out to stop a roberry caused by Cobblepot. Someone kicked her spine hard enough to crack. She managed to get help from Bruce back then, and he helped her with it by manufacturing a metal spine that would support her back. It was a miracle, actually. No one could've ever survived that."

"Except for her," Damian added.

"Yeah," Dick nodded. "Except for her. Turns out, when she went to stop the roberry, Bane was there, too. And Bruce told me that he was actually the one who kicked her. Guess that explains it."

Damian's hands clenched into fists, his teeth gritted together as he look down at his feet. He knew he wasn't in Gotham yet when that happened, but he couldn't help but feel responsible for it.

"Don't worry too much, Damian. It's not your fault, and Kara would hate it if you think otherwise." Dick smiled comfortingly.

He stood up from his bed and walked over, hugging the youngest Wayne gently.

"And besides, if it weren't for you, Kara just might stay dead up to this day."