Batgirl: Break the code (part fifty-nine)

Part fifty-nine: Interrogation

Wayne Manor

Damian and the rest of the family were inside Kara's room, looking for any sign that she might have left to help them.

"Barbara," Jim called.

She turned around to see his eyes staring into her figure sternly. He had a stoic look on his face, seriousness evident.

"We need to talk." He said.

Nodding, she slowly followed her father out of the room and closed the door gently. She faced him, unprepared for the questions he had to throw.

|I'm starting to regret so many things.|

"Is there a reason as to why Kara's a target all the time?" He asked.

|I regret not telling my father what I do at night.|

Barbara wanted to answer honestly, but she knew that she was in no place to explain everything. It would be better if Kara was the one to tell him the truth.

|I regret letting my big sister get tied up into this mess.|

"I think there is a reason," she said. "But I don't know what."

Jim studied her face, looking for any sign or hint to tell him that his daughter was lying at his face. But Barbara is really good at keeping secrets.

"Are you involved in this?" He asked.

"Obviously," Barbara sighed. "She's my little sister. It's my responsibility to look out for her."

"No," Jim shook his head. "I was asking if you were invovled in this vigilantè thing again. Now that you're up and walking again."

|I regret letting them all tied into my own mess.|

|I could've prevented everything.|

Barbara balled one hand into a fist, doing her best to keep everything that has happened from her father.

"No," she cleared her throat. "I'm not, dad. You know how I react to guns now."

She was lying.

|I could've put a stop to this.|

|If it weren't for my slow brain and slacking off.|

"How can I be sure that you're not lying to me, Barbara?" Jim asked.

She looked up at her father, a slightly surprised look on her face.

"I..."

Jim waited for her reply, lifting an eyebrow at her. Every second feels like one decade to Barbara, sweat started forming on her forehead.

|And right from the start, I already had a hint.|

Damian opened the door and cleared his throat to get their attention. Jim and Barbara turned to him. A thankful look was displayed on Barbara's face.

"Father wants to tell you something." He said.

|But I didn't take it.|

They walked back inside the room, not fully forgetting about their conversation.

|I was desparate.|

"We have a lead on what might have happened to Kara." Bruce said.

"Kara is known to have a pretty messy room. But not as messy as this." Selena said.

"Her hidden knife wasn't in its hiding place, either. Meaning, she used it." Damian said.

"And there were faint blood stains on the round carpet in front of her bed." Tim added.

"There was a cut on the edge of her table, too." Jason said.

"So, we gathered everything up and concluded that someone came to kidnap her. But she fought back." Dick finalized.

Jim and Barbara looked at each other, worry evident on their face.

"I might have an idea on who took her." Barbara said slowly.

"I bet we're all thinking the same." Bruce said.

|But not desparate enough to grasp on to that hint and solve everything in one sitting.|

"Heretic,"