Batgirl: Break the code (part thirty-four)

Part thirty-four: Know Your Friends And Foes

Batcave

"YES! FINALLY!" Kara screamed, jumping off of the chair.

She stared at the Bat computer with a victorious smirk on her face. She finally got the correct code and the computer showed her secret files about the silver masks. Every single one of their plot was there.

"What happened!?"

Everyone ran towards her with their weapons and utility belts. Damian had his sword, Jason had his guns locked and loaded, Dick had his batons, Tim with his staff, Luke on his suit, and the girls were holding batarangs. Bruce just had his fists lifted up and Alfred was holding a tray of tea.

"I cracked the code!" Kara exclaimed, turning around them with a very big smile. She didn't mind the pain coming from her injuries. She was just happy that the code was finally out of her problems. They can easily track them now. Find out who was behind all of this.

|Eat that, Grayson! Ha! He owes me a hundred bucks!|

"You did?" Bruce asked.

They all lowered their weapons, glad that nothing bad happened to her. Damian walked towards the computer and saw the files.

"She did," he said. "We can find out who's behind all this."

"And put an end to it." Luke said.

They all had smiles on their faces, gladly thinking of how Gotham will be less dangerous. They can have some rest. But not until they finish this case.

"The Slaughter Castle was recently confirmed to be abandoned. They left just after we came back from Tokyo." Kara explained.

She typed into the computer and showed a picutre of a blonde-haired girl. A black and white mask much like Deathstroke's hid her face.

"Deathstroke's newest apprentice," she said. "Her name is......Riley Peterson."

Kara's eyes widened as she read the file, eyes watering. Riley was one of her friends back at Gotham Academy. Knowing that she's a bad guy was something Kara didn't want to know.

"Isn't she--"

"Yes," Kara said, cutting off Damian's sentence. She gritted her teeth, not wanting to believe what she just read.

|How can Riley be a bad guy!? She's sweet and caring to others. How can she be Deathstroke's so called apprentice?|

Kara cleared her throat and continued.

"She's fifteen years-old, deceased father. Her mother was admitted to the hospital a few weeks ago and was diagnosed with stage three cancer." She said.

"How did you know that? That's not in the file." Dick said.

Kara bit her lip, keeping her tears and cries inside of her. She sucked a breath and blinked several times before facing them.

"She's......one of my friends back at Gotham Academy," she said. "Please tell me she's not as bad as I think she is."

"We can't be sure of it, Kara. But I have a theory that Deathstroke is forcing her." Bruce said.

She nodded, biting her lip. Damian noticed and grabbed her hand.

"I believe you've done your part for today, Gordon. Let's go upstairs and eat." He said.

"Bu--"

"Damian's right, Lani. You go relax, we'll handle this." Dick smiled.

Kara hesitantly nodded, following Damian inside the elevator. He pressed the up button and te elevator slowly closed.

"Dick, Barbara, Tim, stay here with me. The rest of you, go suit up for patrol." Bruce commanded.

Everyone nodded at his orders and went their separate ways. Bruce sat on his chair and started going through the files with Dick, Barbara, and Tim.

Back upstairs, Damian and Kara sat on the stools by the kitchen counter. As Damian eat his lasagña, Kara stared at hers. She wasn't in the mood for lasagña after reading the file. She wasn't in the mood to celebrate.

"Hey," Damian said. Kara looked up from her untouched food, meeting Damian's eyes.

"Don't worry much about it," he said. "We'll figure out a way to get her to the good side. I have a feeling that father is right. Maybe she was forced to be his apprentice."

"What if she's not? What if she wanted that?" She asked back.

Damian sighed, setting his fork down. He walked around the table and sat beside her, rubbing her back with his hand.

"I promise, Kara. I'll do anything to stop her. We'll stop her from doing bad things." He said, resting his chin on her shoulder. Kara sighed, leaning against his chest. She took a deep breath and slowly wrapped her arms around his torso.

"Thank you, Damian," she whispered. "For everything."